Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Championships
George Neave Wrote:My money is on Tate. Colin's game looks a lot tougher to me. Is Mark Orr eligible to join that list of famous Scots ...Greet, Aagaard etc?

Mark is eligible. Alan T. seems to have the best chance (on paper)
George Neave Wrote:btw - did I see Andrew Burnett play for the opposite color bishop ending today and then convert with some tidy Karpovian technique? ...nice

Read all about it when the bell tolls midnight! Smile
Batchelor is a tough opponent - young, improving and beat Scottish Champ McKay today!

I've played him at the London Classic, managed to win a crazy game in the Dutch where I sacced a rook completely unsoundly, it looked to be Petering out (pun intended) to perpetual but Batchelor played on with a dubious queen sac. That was 2012 though, think hes definitely come on since then and saw he beat Pia Cramling at the 4NCL in May.

Would be interesting if Tate and McNab fail to win... could be a few on 6/9 in that case!
Maybe Vlad could try and win it by joining CS before the round starts....
Jonathan Livingstone Wrote:Yeah good shout, I have just enjoyed it too. What a brilliant move and vision for the resulting outcome.

I enjoyed that one too. I recently saw the final position in Dvoretsky (position 4-15 if anyone wants to know), so it was nice to see a GM make use of it.
My round 8 report can be read here Smile
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.streetfightingchess.com/commonwealth-scottish-championships-round-1/">http://www.streetfightingchess.com/comm ... s-round-1/</a><!-- m -->
D-Oswald Wrote:...I've played him at the London Classic, managed to win a crazy game in the Dutch where I sacced a rook completely unsoundly,...

If I had a fiver for every time you could say that :p
Douglas Bryson Wrote:Maybe Vlad could try and win it by joining CS before the round starts....

Does Vlad just play here a lot or is he is living here?
Some very interesting last round pairings today to decide the various Scottish Champions, including several Scotland - England clashes. Being able to watch so many of the games live has been great - well done Andy!
Early predictions: I reckon a massive tiebreak. I prefer Alan's position to Colin's for trying to win, but having been teammates with Peter Batchelor this year, I know he is pretty handy at the chess.

Also, since when did you like anything that happened in an endgame Oswald? As the song famously goes, you HATE them.