Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euro Youth 2014?
Any plans?
You could drop Calum an email...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I don't know what the official CS stance is on the Euroyouth 2014 at Batumi, Georgia but I am beginning to feel decidedly edgy. If we were to trek out there with our junior squad tomorrow and play the event I would feel more comfortable. However, the event is roughly five months away and the continuing political unrest in the region to the north is worrying.

Is it just me or do other CS members have similar concerns?
Georgia is a lot further from Ukraine than Ayrshire is from Northern Ireland.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
In my time as IJD the starting point for any venue with doubts over security was home office advice on travel to that country.

In the case of Batumi it is worth noting that the town is on the Black Sea coast close to the border with Turkey. The disputed regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia are not adjacent to Batumi.

The Crimea is a few hundred miles away along the Black sea coast.

On that coast between Georgia and Crimea is the winter Olympics venue of Sochi.
I don't recall many concerns being expressed about security in Sochi at the time of the winter Olympics but there again the Ukraine-Russia situation escalated seriously after the games had finished.