Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glenrothes Open
Fantastic result for Murad Abdulla (Bon Accord) at Glenrothes. I am not sure if a twelve year old has ever won an Open before in Scotland.
I'm not sure either, but Murad played excellently, defeating both myself b-( and Ian Robertson ~x( in the crucial Sunday games. The last time I lost to a youngster like this was against Alan Tate many years ago...when he was also 12!
Had a look at some of Murad's stats. Published grade 1834 Live grade 1922. He has had four tournament performances 2000+ and three 2100+.
This looks to be a step up on those. Who knows what level he is now playing at but simply getting your head in front at that winning post can inspire a lot of confidence, particularly to a very young player.
I hope he plays in Glorney which I have offered to help with
Congrats to Murad - thoroughly deserved

Before he duffed me up (again!) in round 3 (and broke my recent streak) Murad said he was only interested in coming 1st - loved that attitude and focus

Still thinks he needs more games and if possible play in British and the Scottish etc.

Thanks also to Andrew Green - good feedback from kids re training he provided
robin moore Wrote:Fantastic result for Murad Abdulla (Bon Accord) at Glenrothes. I am not sure if a twelve year old has ever won an Open before in Scotland.

Pretty sure Jonathan Parker won a very strong Edinburgh open aged 12 or 13.
--
"Heather's clever book" - as plugged by the Rampant Chess team.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tinyurl.com/HFPhysics">http://tinyurl.com/HFPhysics</a><!-- m -->
Thanks Heather,

Tried to track it down. GM Jonathan Parker was born in May 1976. Looked for Edinburgh congress results for 1988-89 but records don't seem to go back far enough. Tried Fide website but again no joy. Anyone able to help on this one?
Just to correct myself, Murad is actually thirteen. Thanks to anyone who can help on the post above.
Jonathan Parker won the Edinburgh Congress Open in 1990. One of the players he beat was the author FM Graham Burgess. He then scored an IM norm at Hastings in 1990-91, before winning the Scottish Championship in 1994....
My old scorebook has the 1990 Edinburgh Congress on 30th March - 1st April 1990.