Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEJCA + SJC CFK Results Stonehaven February 1st
Results of NEJCA + SJC Chess for Kicks (CFK) event Saturday February 1st 2014 at Stonehaven Town Hall
Qualifying event

U-300
1st Jakub Gryla (Laurencekirk 7/7

2nd Collin Campbell (Albyn) 5.5/7
3rd Pranav Maganti (Robert Gordon's College) 5/7
3rd=( medal) Fadia Bedawi (Albyn) 5/7

U-600
1st Rafal Wilowski (Banchory) 5.5/6

2nd Thomas Roulson (Albyn School) 4/6
3rd Oishani Dutta (Bromhill) 4/6
4th Keith Murray (Laurencekirk) 4/6
(order of 2nd to 4th decided by play-off)

U-1000
1st Matthew Nelson (Laurencekirk) 4/6

2nd Anoop Babu (Aberdeen Grammar) 4/6
3rd Clarence Wei (Lathallan School) 3/6
(he defeated all others on 3/6)
4th = Nicholas Winter (Lathallan School) 3/6
Fraser Nelson (Laurencekirk) 3/6
Atharva Dabholkar (Robert Gordons) 3/6
All the above players qualify for the SJC Chess for Kicks final (Saturday June 1st, venue to be confirmed)

Junior/Adult Allegro
1st Calum MacQueen (Edinburgh) 5/5

2nd David Grant (Stonehaven) 4/5
3rd Graham McKay (Stonehaven) 3.5/5

Best Junior Prizes
Leonardo Sani (Castlehill) 3.5/5
Nicholas Straw (Banchory Academy/Newmachar) 3.5/5

As usual, full results and photos at http://www.nejca.co.uk
Gerald Lobley
Gerald,

I see the NEJCA website gives the CFK final as being at a premier league football ground in June.

For your information (and others) we are holding the final at Fir Park (Motherwell) on Sunday the 1st of June.
Phil Thomas Wrote:Gerald,

I see the NEJCA website gives the CFK final as being at a premier league football ground in June.

For your information (and others) we are holding the final at Fir Park (Motherwell) on Sunday the 1st of June.

I think Motherwell are safe enough to still be in the premier league in June.
Not Hearts, though.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Killie looking rocky too but should be ok. It's brilliant to have chess events at great venues like Fir Park and that got me thinking....

There must be loads of minor football, rugby, bowling clubs etc who are pretty deserted weeknights (and maybe weekends too) during their "off" season.

Some junior football clubs have cracking premises. I wonder how kindly some of these sporting clubs would consider chess players approaching them for club games, allegros or even full weekend congresses?

Their clubs are lying empty, with bills to pay.....
Folks,

I feel it's best to move Robin's topic to another post. We don't want to sideline or deflect the original thread. Robin has posted important data and thoughts regarding football, a topic worthy of discussion in it's own rights and premises for chess events. His post has a related connection to the discussion in hand but let's not move away from the thread in hand.

For those who don't know Chess For Kicks (CFK) is a event run by SJC.

In order to increase geographical spread some CFK qualifying heats ( such as the Feb 1st event) are franchised out to other junior organisations ... Oban Chess club, Lenzie Academy, NEJCA spring immediately to mind.

We trust these organistions to run heats to a high standard (not been let down yet) and for that reason we don't routinely send SJC arbiters along.
robin moore Wrote:Killie looking rocky too but should be ok. It's brilliant to have chess events at great venues like Fir Park and that got me thinking....

There must be loads of minor football, rugby, bowling clubs etc who are pretty deserted weeknights (and maybe weekends too) during their "off" season.

Some junior football clubs have cracking premises. I wonder how kindly some of these sporting clubs would consider chess players approaching them for club games, allegros or even full weekend congresses?

Their clubs are lying empty, with bills to pay.....

great idea Robin!

As a current member of a bowling club I know that they let their premises off season for little or no money. If a member books it it's free!
Phil Thomas Wrote:As a current member of a bowling club I know that they let their premises off season for little or no money. If a member books it it's free!

true as a member of a bowling club I feel this is a source for a venue I'm in talks to get a venue for a small fee . Football clubs may be a different matter having dealt with premier and championship clubs. I get the feeling they do anything to get funds for their main focus (football) I'm sure Mick Hanley has experience of this having used Hamilton Accies as a base for Hamilton for years
Ianbrownlee Wrote:
Phil Thomas Wrote:As a current member of a bowling club I know that they let their premises off season for little or no money. If a member books it it's free!

You misquote me Ian,
those words actually came from Pat McGovern.

For the record Glasgow Division 1 clubs currently playing home games at Bowling clubs are

Hamilton, Giffnock, Paisley.
I thought Cathcart were too but their venue is actually a tennis/squash club.

Just noticed when checking my facts that the CS clubs directory incorrectly lists Paisley as still being at the Ogilvie club. Hope this hasn't confused visiting teams.

I will inform Paisley's management team next time I visit.
If only it were free!!! (Giffnock Secretary)