Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improve Chess in Scotland
Hi Guys
positive notes here - what would we like to see improved or changed in chess in Scotland let's see what ideas we can put forward here. I'll start the ball rolling, I would like the chess Scotland website linked to a site where we can play online chess within Scotland, for example either play opponents locally or in the highlands. Perhaps an inter-county tournament or whatever. Maybe a centrally structured training module for juniors different to what we have today. Let's get the ideas going.
Chess.com has a Scottish League as well as International matches, both league and friendly games being played.
I didn't know that and I'm a member of chess.com where do I find it
And also there is Chessity, if you haven't already heard about this, see the thread http://www.chessscotland.com/forum/viewt...?f=4&t=812

There is about 40 Scottish players on there, and you can compete with them on the Scotland leaderboard. Though it is in the puzzle type format of chess, its good fun, something different and it apparently improves your playing ability.
Ian

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chess.com/groups/view/team-scotland-leagues">http://www.chess.com/groups/view/team-scotland-leagues</a><!-- m -->
thanks John sorted has anyone any other ideas
Ian said,

Quote:Maybe a centrally structured training module for juniors different to what we have today

Interesting, what do you have in mind?
the Slovaks have a very straightforward pyramid model; appears effective at producing very strong juniors at all ages
robin moore Wrote:Ian said,

Quote:Maybe a centrally structured training module for juniors different to what we have today

don't know yet, looking for ideas but the likes of me teaching kids can use guidance on what to teach , certainly published materials or at least a syllabus could be helpful and i'm sure there are others who co do with help. I'm also looking at the bigger picture, at regional and national level
robin moore Wrote:Ian said,

What I did think about are regional and national championships at some point in the season which are used to help in the national selection of both junior and adult squads, with serious input from the various leagues and junior organisations, with clear parameters and direction from the national body. But it's just an idea which needs lots of thought and input. Think of the publicity it could generate and if we could get the schools involved then so much the better. Perhaps we could incorporate a sort of grand Prix system for schools I don't know but we need new ideas to regenerate interest in chess.. We do have the talent inside and outwith chess Scotland if we can only pull together. No doubt a lot of people will disagree with me and that's healthy, at least we're communicating. We have a combination of new and experienced heads in chess. Let's see what we can do