Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT Corstorphine, Ayr, Ayr Armageddon
Would these teams please contact me ASAP and let me know if they are planning to put in a team for this season's SNCL

GG
These teams are a little bit past the deadline for entries (15/10/11). I left the Giffnock entries until the last possible moment because I can only guarantee 1.6 teams rather than 2.0. After last season I am embarrassed at the thought of further defaults. In my time as Secretary, we had zero defaults until the final day last season, when Giffnock 'B' defaulted an entire match. As it stands, I may soon have to stand down as club secretary as, despite the entry, I cannot guarantee two full teams this month.

I personally dislike default wins, I would rather lose a contested game. I feel that our opponents have been short-changed if we cannot turn out a full team. The entry fee is of the order of £2 per board.

What is the penalty for late entry? I ask this because I have just had to pay a £5 late entry fee for the Scarborough Congress, and that is for one individual.

Don't get me wrong, I want these teams to be part of the competition, to provide enough games for everyone else, but late entry should carry some penalty. I am not sure whether a financial or a points penalty would be more appropriate. Their non-appearance would also cause difficulties in determining in which division the remaining teams play.

I look forward to seeing you on the 30th.
I have never found it necessary to impose a late fee before. I would prefer to give teams the opportunity to remedy the error and enter. It is very likely that these teams are under the impression that they have entered - possibly thought the other one had done it, or it is quite likely this year that I have mislaid their entry as my mind is not focussed on anything else but my mother and work!!!

To the teams involved I say sorry if it is my error but please contact me and let me know what is happening.

To Andy. If you are insisting on late fees you will have to get it passed at the AGM.

Mam and I look forward to seeing you all on the 30th Oct.

GG
Glynis, please read my post. At no point did I say that late fees were necessary. What I did say was that some disciplinary measure was necessary.

What is the point of saying entry must be by XX/YY/ZZ, and then extending the deadline?

By the way, I encountered the majority of the Ayr team on Glasgow's Argyle street at about 5.30 pm last night. We acknowledged each others presence with smiles without any problem.

It is no fun to be an organiser when on one weekend 16 players are available for 10 places, and the following month only 7 players are available.
Andy McCulloch Wrote:Glynis, please read my post. At no point did I say that late fees were necessary. What I did say was that some disciplinary measure was necessary.

What is the point of saying entry must be by XX/YY/ZZ, and then extending the deadline?

I agree, but what did you have in mind? Perhaps scourging them before the first round would suffice? :U
Ayrshire Armageddon will not be entering this year I am afraid. As regards to Ayr, it may be wise to contact the Espinosa family who made up the majority of the team last season and have now started up a new chess club in Girvan.
Thanks for letting me know Gary.

GG