Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Olympiad 2014
Thanks for clearing that up everyone.
It is unfortunate that Rowson(2), Dearing(4), Shaw (8) have played so few games so we will have to do a bit of guesswork. We'll sort something out in the next couple of weeks.
David's team hardly earn a bean between them so I'm hoping no player has to pull out through lack of funds.
amuir Wrote:Thanks for clearing that up everyone.It is unfortunate that Rowson(2), Dearing(4), Shaw (8) have played so few games so we will have to do a bit of guesswork. We'll sort something out in the next couple of weeks.
David's team hardly earn a bean between them so I'm hoping no player has to pull out through lack of funds.

Remember that you're the International Director Andy, not the arbiter of discussions held on here.

Also, I'm not convinced that any of 'David's team' needs pauper status publicly thrust upon them!
Hi Andrew (Greet),

Sorry for getting the transfer fee situation wrong. The FIDE transfers list does indeed have 2000 Euros next to your name, (as it does other amounts next to other transferees) but doesn't distinguish whether or not you paid that amount to switch allegiance immediately, or preferred to wait 1 year for a free transfer. It appears to have been the latter - my apologies.

I hadn't realised you'd been resident in Scotland for so long - an East coast/West coast divide in chess tournaments keeping our paths from crossing too often? In any event, from the sound of things you are passionate enough about your future plans here, more than surpass all the requirements to represent Scotland and I wish you good luck in Tromso (if you are picked) and elsewhere!

As a footnote, I get the impression from speaking to others that it isn't an unwillingness, at all, to accept 'non-Scots' into the Scottish team, but rather a repeat of the whole Jacob 'Danish-Scottish-Danish' nonsense which worries us.
Andy Burnett wrote
"As a footnote, I get the impression from speaking to others that it isn't an unwillingness, at all, to accept 'non-Scots' into the Scottish team, but rather a repeat of the whole Jacob 'Danish-Scottish-Danish' nonsense which worries us."

Just a few comments on this
1. If the eligibility rules prevented Andrew Greet from playing for Scotland those rules would be insane.
2. If SCO continues to exist then I will never play under another code; Impossible to prove I know but there it is.
3. I think the nature of nationality has changed a lot in the modern world. The Scots don't all live in Aberdeen, have Mac in front of their name and sport a ginger beard. There are different forms and different degrees of Scottishness. Establishing (fair) eligibility rules in these circumstances is very difficult.

Matt
Andy (Muir),
100% of the rest of the team.
Matt

Matt , I doubt you'll ever get that due to the competitive nature of things. Your best bet is to start with an AGM motion from a helpful colleague with a larger vote and take it from there.

The Tromso Olympiad is unusual given the several requests I have had to go which have not been there for previous olympiads. It might be easier next time.
amuir Wrote:Andy (Muir),
100% of the rest of the team.
Matt

Matt , I doubt you'll ever get that due to the competitive nature of things. Your best bet is to start with an AGM motion from a helpful colleague with a larger vote and take it from there.

The Tromso Olympiad is unusual given the several requests I have had to go which have not been there for previous olympiads. It might be easier next time.

What does '...a helpful colleague with a larger vote mean', Andy? Someone with proxy votes for other people? Or is there a 'scale' of votes? 1 vote for an individual, 2 for a league, 3 for a congress, etc??

Have people actually been contacting you 'requesting' a place in the Tromso teams? Or do you simply mean they have said they are available if chosen?
Andy

Someone (not me) could propose that Matt could be considered as a special case given his service to Scottish chess and that it would be a good thing if he was given a one-off wild card. It might not be passed but an AGM vote would be larger than the last 6-5 split.

Several people have contacted me asking to play and captain the team out of the blue without any prompting from me.

Anyway we will have the team and captain picked by the weekend and I will circulate the players and get everything sorted before announcing it.
For selection consideration for the Tromso Olympiad I would like persons that are SCO registered, played in the Scottish championship and Scottish congresses and have been a wonderful, generous, unselfish help to the present, past and recent past junior international squad to be considered.

There is a top contender....Matt Turner

( Matt, Sorry if you are blushing but your support has meant the world to our young Scottish squad, parents and juniors)

Robin.
I am (still) looking for a strong player to captain the NZ Women's team, with the idea that he (or she) would be able to do opening preparation with the women, go over games with them, and also be able to help the Open team players, if requested (the Open team captain is generally our team manager/organiser and is not a strong player). NZ has no money so all the 'conditions' I can guarantee would be the free board&lodging provided by the organisers. However, I would like to think that we could offer travel expenses too, from the UK (but not from NZ!).

Anyone interested should email me immediately - <!-- e --><a href="mailto:heligan@eplusbooks.com">heligan@eplusbooks.com</a><!-- e --> - as we are in the process of selecting our teams and captains. Our women's team players are all under 2050.
Helen
I have circulated this to our top players. As I said, there are plenty of people who have emailed to me who are desperate to go to Tromso.