Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Election Results
That alcohol question put to the IJD was too vague, but I think Steve has already dropped that point. In terms of doing the job I was well impressed with the team, new and existing, and I’ve no doubt that things will move.

I know we all want to move on, but I think many of Steve’s points on the democratic issues have validity whether we like it or not. Though some matter more than others, for example the voting in pairs was a bit farcical and just caused confusion, but didn’t seem do any real harm. These things happen..

When people’s votes are explicitly sought for one purpose (the presidential campaign) and then end up used for another (by officials to unseat other office bearers in unopposed contests), it should be a concern for us all, especially the other office bearers. Thankfully, common sense prevailed in the aftermath (thanks I understand to Andy H - and of course the official with all the proxies having a change of heart), and no concrete harm was done - but this incident surely represents bad treatment (there are legit ways to complain about office bearers if you want to); if so it’s right to point it out.

I thought Hamish looked capable and experienced in the chair, but I also thought his handling of the meeting was clearly not even handed in several respects, and as Steve notes, he also didn’t seem to welcome input into future committees from the floor. More generally he seems to regard the noticeboard as just a problem, but I don’t see how without it (he hasn’t joined it anyway) he can know what members views are.

It’s not just Hamish though, there seems a tendency to centralize information and decision-making, and dismiss or evade criticism - which makes the AGM less relevant than it could be.

But apart from that side of things (it's hard to say how much these things matter if people are otherwise doing good jobs), I thought the feeling emerging from the meeting was very upbeat and encouraging.
Walter
Whether or not the points Steve raised had any merit was not really the point for me. The AGM has happened decisions have been made - it is time to move on and back the new team. If mistakes were made on the day, so what?

If there is scope for improving procedures then great but this is not the time or place to deal with them.
Walter wrote
Quote:When people’s votes are explicitly sought for one purpose (the presidential campaign) and then end up used for another (by officials to unseat other office bearers in unopposed contests), it should be a concern for us all, especially the other office bearers
David Deary had my proxy and it was clear that my vote would not just be used for the presidential contest.
I'm glad that we did not lose Andy Muir as a director, many would say he does a good job. Andy's "olive branch" is a good start to things.
re the "young team" in as new directors, they will get (I hope) time to prove their mettle. This could be the start of a new and better era for CS.
There a number of replies I must respond to, so apologies to those I miss Big Grin
Andy H. I repeat that I did not carry proxy votes. Was I such a threat to the President for someone to contact so many people?
Jim W: he might be more streetwise than me thats true, but how can he justify it?
Yes , I defend what I said, but I agree with you that it would have made things difficult if I had won Big Grin I am perfectly aware of this. I say what I think. You said forget forget 2009. I had but there are some sections of CS that have not and not taken into account my achievements internationally, which reflect well on this country
George N: I was the one who kept the home department going. It was a mess when I took over Big Grin
Mike Scott: are you telling me that if you were in my shoes in 2009, then you would have just sat there and taken it? You can be certain of one thing Mike, if someone attacks me then I will defend myself Big Grin
amuir Wrote:I kept count of the votes concerning me:
Vote 1 : International Director : For 34 Against 93
Vote 2 : Home Director : For 10 Against 30
Vote 3: International Director : For 52 Against 31

I noticed some of the people who voted against me. The ones I noticed were: Dick Heathwood, Hamish Glen,
Alan Borwell (proxy), Steve Mannion (snr) (proxy) , Calum MacQueen, Hugh Brechin .
There were many others that I did not catch amongst the forest of hands.

I am disappointed that these people voted against me but I accept it was for noticeboard postings and possibly an arrogant answer I made to a question at the AGM (it was not meant in that way) and not my work as International Director.

I am determined that Scotland will be well represented abroad in the next year , including the Olympiad
and offer an olive branch to these and other people I have offended to work in harmony.

As I said, based on the last year's experience, the November EGM will be more productive than this noticeboard
in solving disputes
#
This highlights the weak proxy arrangements. I was unable to come at the last minute (family reasons) but did not intend the TAFCA proxy to be used to vote against you - I do not think my personal LM proxy was used? In ICCF, no person carry more than 3 votes to Congress, including proxies, and that is about right.
I am glad that you were elected on the second vote. I believe you have supported the "seniors" pretty well!
The AGM seems to have elected a good team and I hope everyone will now work together for Scottish Chess.
Steve there was a concerted effort on your behalf with regard to proxy votes. There was also a concerted effort on behalf of your opponent too, one was more successful than the other! As i understand it was not even close. Too many sour grapes will tarnish your honourable efforts. You lost this time, you may win another time.
Pat,
There were no concerted efforts made by my team, which I remind you was myself and Ian Brownlee, to obtain proxy votes, but look at the efforts to obtain proxy votes by your side. Was I such a threat? I accept the result, I always have Pat, but it is not sourgrapes from me.
Steve
Quote:Mike Scott: are you telling me that if you were in my shoes in 2009, then you would have just sat there and taken it? You can be certain of one thing Mike, if someone attacks me then I will defend myself

Who is saying you should not defend yourself? It was the manner of your 'defense' - that was so inappropriate.
Anyway thats my last post on the matter.
Quote:Anyway thats my last post on the matter

The last post on that matter should have been in 2009!!
Steve how do you explain the email sent on your behalf on the 8th of August soliciting proxy votes for you?