Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Election Results
This is purely a list of the elected officials, but unfortunately I did not take a note of the elected representatives from individual members and club members.
  • President:- Hamish Glen
    Executive Director:- Andy Howie
    Finance Director:- David Congalton
    Home Director (Open):- Keith Rose
    Home Director (Junior):- David Deary
    Customer Services Director:- no candidate - to be reviewed
    International Director (Open):- Andy Muir
    International Director (Junior):- Calum McQueen
    Schools Development Director:- June Underwood
    Marketing Director:- Jonathan Edwards
    Scottish Championships Director:- Alex McFarlane
    Technical Director:- Ken Stewart
    FIDE/ECU Delegate:- Andy Howie

One day I'll work out how to format in 2 columns!
There's some great new blood in there and I hope the coming year sees a departure from the politicking and infighting. It's time now to focus on moving forward and this year needs to see some changes in constitutional and procedural areas, that much is clear from the last few weeks' worth of pre-AGM hysteria. Personal agendas need to be shelved and the key goal must remain the advancement of chess in Scotland, at all levels and ages. I wish the new and continuing directors and President every success for the coming year, one which already promises to be memorable with the Commonwealth Championships inbound to Scotland.
Well said Mike.

In terms of the club members elected, from memory it was as follows:
Stewarton
East Kilbride
Smithycroft Secondary
Pentland Hills

Individual members were as follows:
Dougie Bryson
Stephen Burns-Mannion
Lynsey Shovlin
Daniel Deary

I'm unsure on who the Congresses were. Apologies, I cannot find any notes in my pad on it. =o I seem to remember Dundee being mentioned but I could be making that up.

In terms of the meeting, it did feel a little strange this year. It was unfortunate that we could not reach some of the controversial items during the time allotted. I still can't believe five hours was spent without reaching the end of the motions! I believe there will be an EGM attached to the next Council meeting which is in November to try to get through the items we couldn't reach.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Some statistics will explain why the motions weren't all covered - there were a large no. of members and proxies e.g.
No. present at AGM - I counted 38 (largest for a long time)
Selected members with large proxy votes (hope I'm accurate here):
Dick Heathwood : 56
Gerard Lobley: 13
Linda McCusker: 12
Hamish Glen:8
Calum McQueen: 6
Alex Gillies: 8

As each candidate for election had to give a speech, answer questions, and then a complicated vote took place, and most of the 38 members wanted a say, this is naturally what took a lot of the time.
However the fact that there will be an EGM in November where all the outstanding issues can be discussed is reassuring.
amuir Wrote:Some statistics will explain why the motions weren't all covered - there were a large no. of members and proxies e.g.
No. present at AGM - I counted 38 (largest for a long time)
Selected members with large proxy votes (hope I'm accurate here):
Dick Heathwood : 56
Gerard Lobley: 13
Linda McCusker: 12
Hamish Glen:8
Calum McQueen: 6
Alex Gillies: 8

In the interest of transparency and accuracy (although I'm not sure its relevant!):
David Congalton had 17 proxy votes
I had 11 proxy votes
Hugh Brechin had 6 proxy votes
Also, a slight ammendment to yours Andy (Calum had 5 proxy votes as one of his proxies was in attendance)
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Jim Webster Wrote:This is purely a list of the elected officials, but unfortunately I did not take a note of the elected representatives from individual members and club members.
  • President:- Hamish Glen
    Executive Director:- Andy Howie
    Finance Director:- David Congalton
    Home Director (Open):- Keith Rose
    Home Director (Junior):- David Deary
    Customer Services Director:- no candidate - to be reviewed
    International Director (Open):- Andy Muir
    International Director (Junior):- Calum McQueen
    Schools Development Director:- June Underwood
    Marketing Director:- Jonathan Edwards
    Scottish Championships Director:- Alex McFarlane
    Technical Director:- Ken Stewart
    FIDE/ECU Delegate:- Andy Howie

One day I'll work out how to format in 2 columns!
=)
An outstanding team, i feel this is the best chance yet to make progress and away from the negative stuff. I also feel that there are other, strong, organisers/coaches not currently in CS who could (re)join and improve the quality already noted above.
Again, I'm not sure how relevant this is, but Dick Heathwood's proxy total included 13 originally given to Steve Mannion Sr, who was unable to make the meeting.

I certainly wouldn't go blaming the delays on proxies - the tellers did an efficient job. There were a few points where the meeting perhaps got somewhat bogged down, but ultimately I think a large part of the problem was that there were an awful lot of motions. From memory, the hideously long 2009 AGM had a rather less weighty agenda.
Just to report that the outcome of the second part of the motion regarding the noticeboard (i.e. the second part as submitted, but it was considered first which was more logical) was that it should be retained by CS and on the other part there was then an overwhelming vote for the mixed model which I think means suitable types of information will be publicly viewable but other stuff would only be seen by forum members, or something like that - perhaps someone who knows precisely what it entails could firm up on this.
Yes, that's right. The forum will remain affiliated to Chess Scotland, and a model will be instituted where some forums - Announcements, Scots Abroad, Tournaments and Events and a few others - will be viewable to all, but people will need to log in to read the stuff in the General Chess Chat and the Junior Chess Chat forums. I'm not quite sure what the breakdown will be; presumably Andy will sort it out at some stage soonish. There still won't be any requirement for forum members to be CS members.
Hopefully there can be a junior forum that is open as well. I believe it's important for parents to have easy access to news about tournaments, results etc.

Perhaps there could also be one in the members' only section, so that if a thread did take a left turn then the mods could easily move it.