Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President of Chess Scotland
the role of chess scotland president has been well documented, there have been many words written about who is the best candidate. My thoughts are that the President, not only to be hard working and conciliatory, is representative of all of us in CS. He needs to take part in many meetings with many other bodies and professional people. In short he needs to be intelligent, articulate and make an immediate, good, impression. In my mind there is only one candidate than can achieve all of that. I fear we may be taken less seriously and lose much credibility if the wrong candidate gets in. Everyone will have there own thoughts on this, these are mine. Please think carefully before voting, there is much more at stake than score settling or power grabbing.
I agree Pat, I urge as many people to go along to the AGM and hear first hand what each candidate says, don't just rely and what has and has not been posted although the forum is a great oppertunity for all the candidates ( for whatever their nominated post ) to express their ideas for taking Chess Scotland. Some candidates have been more vocal than others on the forums and I'm personally looking forward to all the arguments, not just the candidacy for president. I'm sorry to say Pat, your best friend Phil wont be able to attend the AGM but you can come and sit with me if you want Big Grin
With 146 (I think) proxy votes cast - I don't think the attending members will have the decisive vote.

There has been too much proxy solicitation for bloc votes already and that is something that MUST change in future.
here here Jim, hopefully we can start to address that tomorrow
I also agree Pat, the role of the Chess Scotland President has to be as a great ambassador for chess, which Stephen has a proven track record for under the IBCA. The fact that he doesn’t allow his disability to restrict his fine work is a testament to him. I’m sorry to say however that Hamish hasn’t exactly shone in the same light with his lack of activity both in the forums and in his time as President, especially with the controversy with standards committee and everything linked to it I’m sure your bias against Stephen has shown up yet again especially with you using terms such as power grabbing. Perhaps with Stephen as President, Chess Scotland can take the first real step forward towards the future.
You never know Jim, it might be 73-73.
Quote:I’m sure your bias against Stephen has shown up yet again especially with you using terms such as power grabbing.

Michael i did not express or indicate what my preference is. I'm sure Stephen will be the first to say that i do not have any bias toward him. Stephen and I have been acquaintances for over 30 years so i am sure he will know. So you comment leaves me baffled.
Regarding Hamish, i am also well acquainted with him only not far as long. Time, or lack of it, does not sway me one way or another. my choice of qualities i wish in a president are well laid out in my post.
Quote:I'm sorry to say Pat, your best friend Phil wont be able to attend the AGM but you can come and sit with me if you want

I am also sorry Phil cannot attend the AGM. The skills and effort that Phil has to offer chess should be utilised more. I hope after the AGM Phil can find a way to come back into the fold.

Ian, thanks for the offer Big Grin
Hi Pat
re: Phil
you know i'm only having a bit of fun and I'm sure we'll all able to have a good constructive debate ( but i'm taking a tin hat anyway)