Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Senior Team Championship
Yet more Scots hitting the road. The ESTC gets under way in Dresden on Saturday. We are seeded 43 of 71 teams, so can expect toughies in the first couple of rounds.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.schachfestival.de/www_festival/c50052e56093469d15d7ca0ed7c85e43.php">http://www.schachfestival.de/www_festiv ... c85e43.php</a><!-- m -->
Good luck guys! Big Grin
Sorry I can't be there this year (first one missed since becoming a 'Senior'...

It is going to be tough all they way...

If you can finish ahead of the Welsh and at least some of the English teams that would be a good result. But that wouldl need some luck with the draw and then some good games.

I'll be following the results and if possible the games (once a litle local matter called the Open Golf has run its course).

Best wishes, Alastair
Viel Erfolg!

Great venue. Guess it'll be hot both on and off the board. Just relax and enjoy the experience. But where is the Czech Republic? Last November, Vlastimil Jansa told me that they'd be stronger than in the past and expected to be real contenders. Funding problems!?

Habt Spass!
Danke!

Safely ensconced in a Dresden as hot and clammy as back home. Raring to go tomorrow.
2-2 draw with 8th seeds Italy. We'd have taken that before start of play, but it could have been even better. Raj had the better of a draw, but all credit to his opponent for finding some delicate defensive manoeuvres. Alastair had a big win against his FM opponent.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall of the Italian dressing room. They were not a happy bunch.

The pleasantly air-conditioned playing hall is a world away from the sauna that was Helensburgh!
Surely the outstanding result from the first round! For the record:

Scotland (43) 2—2 Italy (8)

Guilian, Philip FM 2230 ½ - ½ Tatai, Stefano IM 2365
Bhopal, Raj 2077 ½ - ½ Albano, Marco 2288
Marks, Ian 1981 0 - 1 Valenti, Giuseppe FM 2185
Dawson, Alastair 1900 1 - 0 Rosino, Antonio FM 2178

That’s a very good result and a very big scalp for Alastair Dawson in his first international game. Well done to all! As a reward, they are next scheduled to play the bottom rated club, Schachklub Heidenau, who had a bye in the first round.
great result Big Grin
SK Heidenau 1 SCO 3
Decent result against a local regional side, although Phil's opponent proved a slippery customer.
No. 19 seeds Brandenburg tomorrow.
SCO 1½ Brandenburg 2½

Fair result against a strong side, with Phil getting back on track with a good win. Tomorrow we face old foes Steiermark from Austria. Should be a good one.