Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Record for Roddy?
I've just been alerted by the London Chess Classic feed that Roddy may have broken the world record for the longest time between first win at a national championships and last. The first win was in 1971, some 42 years ago!!!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Last? methinks he still has several years in him to try again if he wishes.
Is he oldest ever scottish champion at 61 ?
Fairhurst was 59 , Aitken 56 , Pritchett 56, Spens 52 when won it
Samuel Reshevsky won the US Open Chess Championship in 1931 (at a time when there was no US Chess Championship). In 1972 he tied for first place in the US Chess Championship but lost the tie-break a few months later.

Viktor Korchnoi first won the USSR Chess Championship in 1960. After switching nationality, he won the Swiss (i.e. Switzerland's) Chess Championship in 2009.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
According to the official records it is 33 years. I guess the two mentioned above don't count as the first was not an official championship and didn't win the last and Victor switched nationalities so was not the same tournament
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I'm not 100% sure but did not Roddy win the Scottish National Boys Championship
and now he is the Scottish Senior Champion. Is that not some kind of a record.
I was watching part of roddys demolition of hebden and there was such a buzz from the game that I'm sure he was on some sort of legal chess high. Thoroughly deserved !

He may also have another world record at the same time - fastest player of the year award - pretty much day one of new season - he certainly has my vote !
Can Alan McGowan or Norris McWhirter please officially ratify some of these records ? What with Alan Minnican's exploits, Scotland is fast becoming full of world champions !
Roddy did not win the Scottish Boys' Championship. No record of him taking part in the competition. See
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/history/ScottishBoysCh.htm">http://www.chessscotland.com/history/ScottishBoysCh.htm</a><!-- m -->
Roddy is the oldest winner of the Scottish Championship (I had a look at the History Archive to check some information).
Some other brief notes of interest: Fairhurst won 11 times; Dr Aitken had 10 wins and William Gibson 9.
As has been pointed out, this is Roddy's 8th win.
I do not know if the number of years between Roddy's first win and his 2013 victory is a record. I will have to seek help from other sources, unless Andy Howie has additional information from the initial contact.