Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Vacancies
All positions are up for renewal this year with the exception of Standards committee positions which have a further 2 years to run.

The following positions are vacant or the incumbents have indicated that they do not want to stand. I will add to this list should others indicate they wish to step down:

Home Director
Home Director (Junior)
International Director (Junior)
Marketing Director
Customer Services Director

If there is anyone out there interested in the positions please make step forward Big Grin You need a nominator and a seconder.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Hi Andy
where is there a BREAKDOWN of all the chess Scotland posts and their responsibilities Big Grin
From the constitution

7 Office Bearers
7.1 The Office Bearers of Chess Scotland shall be
7.1.1 President, ,
7.1.2 Honorary President
7.1.3 Executive Director, Finance Director, Schools Development Director, Home Chess Director (Open), Home Chess Director (Junior), Customer Services Director, International Director (Open), International Director (Junior), Sponsorship Director, Technical Director
7.1.4 Additional Directors having responsibilities delegated to them by the AGM, may be appointed by the AGM.
7.2 In addition to the above Directors there may be other appointments of Office Bearers:
7.2.1 Chief Grader, Webmaster, Membership Secretary, Scottish Chess Editor
7.2.2 A FIDE/ECU delegate
7.2.3 Additional Office Bearers having responsibilities delegated to them by the AGM, may be appointed by the AGM.
7.3 No member shall serve as President for more than 3 consecutive years.
10 Powers and Duties of MANAGEMENT BOARD
10.1 To be constituted as follows the President, Executive Director, Finance Director, Customer Services Director, Schools Development Director, Sponsorship Director, the Chairman (or their Deputies) of the Junior Board, Open Board and International Board- ie not exceeding 10 members
10.2 The powers and duties of the Management Board are:
10.2.1 To build an annual business plan and budget, but may build a business plan or budget over a longer period where appropriate.
10.2.2 To recommend the strategic direction for Chess Scotland to Council
10.2.3 May appoint ad hoc committees that may co-opt Individual members
10.2.4 To fill any vacancy among Directors by appointment.
10.2.5 Management Board decisions shall be binding unless reversed by a resolution of an AGM or SGM.
11 OPEN HOME, JUNIOR HOME AND INTERNATIONAL BOARDS
11.1 The Boards shall perform similar functions for their particular areas of activity.
11.2 The Boards shall be constituted as follows:
11.2.1 Junior Board - Home Chess Director (Junior), Schools Development Director, Representatives of the junior leagues, regional organisations or junior sections of Open leagues which are affiliated to Chess Scotland, Event organisers and other personnel appointed by the Home Chess Director (Junior) and Schools Development Director, and at least two young people appointed as decided by the Junior Board
11.2.2 Open Board - Home Chess Director (Open), Representatives of the adult leagues, regional organisations which are affiliated to Chess Scotland, Event organisers and other personnel appointed by the Home Chess Director (Open), and at least two people appointed as decided by the Open Board
11.2.3 International Director - International Director (Open), International Director (Junior), Event organisers and other personnel appointed by the International Director (Open) and International Director (Junior), FIDE Delegate and at least two people appointed as decided by the International Board
11.2.4 Boards may also invite any other Chess Scotland Office Bearers to attend Board meetings
11.3 The powers and duties of the Boards are:
11.3.1 To govern their area of activity in Chess Scotland on behalf of the membership between General Meetings.
11.3.2 To input to an annual business plan and budget, or longer period as determined by the Management Board.
11.3.3 May appoint ad hoc committees that may co-opt Individual members
11.3.4 To fill any vacancy among Board Members by appointment.

There cannot really be a 100% breakdown as other Directors can be appointed at the AGM. I think I am the only one in that Category as Scottish Championships Director.

I don't know of a list of the 'tasks' of Directors but most are reasonably obvious from the title.
On the subject of Directors' responsibilities, I have a three-page Word document dating from about 2006 that was under consideration as a basis for a formal statement of responsibilities, but was not developed to the point where it could have been adopted by Chess Scotland. Some of the detail is out of date, and the document would need a fair bit of revision to reflect what the various Directors are doing (or trying to do) now, but I think it is still usable as a rough guide.

I'll be happy to email a copy to anyone who is interested.

(And if anybody thinks I'm being secretive by not posting the full text of the document here, let me just say I'd be very happy to do that - I'm just not sure whether it's possible to copy three pages of formatted text into a single post on this board.)
Hi Donald
could you email it to me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:ian.brownlee@systemsit.co.uk">ian.brownlee@systemsit.co.uk</a><!-- e --> or send me a pm
There is one on the CS site but it's from 2004. May be of interest:

http://www.chessscotland.com/csinfo/directorjan04.htm
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Note to Ian Brownlee:

I'm having problems with my email - I may have sent the file to you twice, or I may not have sent it to you at all.

Could you let me know if you have received it?
Apparently your problems may stem from your email being hacked, Donald, unless you have been robbed at gunpoint in the manillas and do require £2000.
Donald Wilson Wrote:Note to Ian Brownlee:

I'm having problems with my email - I may have sent the file to you twice, or I may not have sent it to you at all.

Could you let me know if you have received it?

I've received it twice Donald thanks
JMcNicoll Wrote:Apparently your problems may stem from your email being hacked, Donald, unless you have been robbed at gunpoint in the manillas and do require £2000.

I'm glad you got home safely, Donald Big Grin