Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum been made members only?
Why has the forum been made Members Only? Just a mistake?
Jeezo, at least give me a chance to set it all up then I'll explain. It is an experiment for a decision at the AGM
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
So who made the decision and what was the rationale? I guess it wasn't Council. :\

It was done very suddenly without warning. Are there some who want the viewing of certain topics posted recently to be restricted?

Surely the lead-up to an AGM is the time that you wouldn't want restrictions so that you can maximise viewing on the various topics to be discussed? Why can't it be discussed at the AGM without the experiment?
Good afternoon everyone.

After submissions from various people, we have decided to experiment with the forum until the AGM. The only change now is that in order to view and post, you will need to log in. We are not making it you have to be a member of Chess Scotland to use the forum, merely a member of the forum.

At the AGM the question is going to be posed. Do we want the forum public as it was, do we want it as we are testing at the moment with you have to be a member of the forum or do we want it a mix of the two with certain topics kept in member forums.

The main benefit I see from the point of view of making the forum for registered users (I'll stop using Members as it is confusing) is that the moderation does not have to be as strict as there can be a frank discussion without the whole world reading it!

On the other hand, being public means that Joe Bloggs can see what is happening and may come along to tournaments etc etc.

Lets see how it pans out at for the next 6 weeks and please make sure you make your voice heard about your preference at the AGM.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I am going to move this to the sticky I posted on this
Ok now I have the posts together,

It is not restricted as anyone can register. There is no restriction on registering, it is not Chess Scotland members only and this will never be the aim or intention and it has come as a result of quite a push for wanting the board to be members only.

The decision was made by myself and with the agreement of the other moderators and Hamish. it is not permanent nor are we hiding anything.

I would rather we made an informed decision at the AGM based on people trying it than a blind one where we make the wrong decision.
To be honest, I believe this is the best policy and I have been one of the biggest proponents on this forum for this kind of setup.

On several occasions members have been slurred and accusations have been traded that can impact upon a persons life off this forum and I've never felt comfortable having people spouting anything they please about me (using my full name) on a public forum. This is the common sense approach to mitigate the risk.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Actually you can still browse the forum without logging in.
I'm guessing you can see the phrase ... and n guests ... below.

So I'm starting an auction between Andy and Geoff to see who will pay me the most to tell them how it is done Big Grin
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
I'd sure like to know? 8)
worked it out. closing that loophole if I can