Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accessing notice board
I agree with Andy 100% end of...
Andy Howie Wrote:Why would we want a members only section, what have we to hide??? What is sitting there in the deepest darkest recesses of the non member mind that we are so scared of?

i have not noticed anyone saying they are scared of non members; i have not noticed anyone saying or implying that they have anything to hide from non members; use of language Andy H is not helpful.

There are many forums/noticeboards that successfully run members only sections. I was hoping for opinions from members and i got (mostly) reasoned opinions.

Thanks,

Pat.
Perhaps the notice board should contain a section for non members only.

Discuss (non members that is Tongue )
Surely it's better to have a private members' section, rather than have moderators close down debates which they think reflect badly on CS's public image?
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
perhaps the fact that membership fees are used to help run CS and its noticeboard perhaps non members may wish to make a donation in the interests of fairness?
Patrick McGovern Wrote:perhaps the fact that membership fees are used to help run CS and its noticeboard perhaps non members may wish to make a donation in the interests of fairness?

Fair point Pat.

What price Free Speech?
Patrick McGovern Wrote:perhaps the fact that membership fees are used to help run CS and its noticeboard perhaps non members may wish to make a donation in the interests of fairness?

Most already do. They play graded games in Scotland
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I'm basically not very impressed by people who choose not to be CS members despite particpating in the game in the country - paying membership is an easy way to contribute positively to chess in Scotland, and it's not exactly very expensive.

That said, I think the 'free speech' aspect of the noticeboard is too important to lose. The vast majority of regular posters are members (I mean, I presume so...), and I don't think it's worth excluding anyone from conversation.
I would agree that membership is the easiest way but is not the only way. Those that give up their time for nothing to organize events, organise clubs/teams, grade events and/or cover costs out of their own pocket etc etc are certainly stakeholders in Scottish Chess. I would not argue that those that are non-members should be granted membership of Chess Scotland but they certainly should not be ignored or sidelined because they do wish - for whatever reason - to join CS. I would think it is in CS's interest to encourage engagement with these volunteers.

That said I do think there is a good case to be made for a private noticeboard area that can be subject to less moderator control.

Actually, perhaps there should be a new class of membership for the non-player that would encourage non-members to join and provide contact details and to get engaged but would offer fewer benefits of full membership e.g. entry discount
What kind of reasons would someone have for not joining CS?
(Let's say, apart from financial reasons - as Hugh says it's not very expensive but sometimes budgets don't always stretch to everything; I've had to pay golf, tennis (x2) and chess memberships this year).