Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC Forum
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3499">http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3499</a><!-- m -->
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
A sorry affair that could have been settled by a couple of individuals (non-arbiters) doing the decent thing.

There were a few Scots at Northumberland (myself included) who would confirm the outstanding ovation that Lara and Alex received prior to the start of the last round. I don't remember the name of the gent who made the short speech asking for acknowledgement of their efforts, but that doesn't really matter. The response of all the players told you all you needed to know.

Whatever the politics behind the ECF view on the matter, (I would not be surprised at there being money involved given the way that Keene suddenly appeared to open the British), silence in this situation suggests tacit consent. That response (or lack of it) also tells you much about the individuals involved.

Grim.
His name is Ernie Lazenby. (Either President Cleveland Chess Association, or immediate past President, I'm not sure which)

I was also present at the Northumberland Congress.

There was an extremely powerful display of affection and respect for Lara and Alex. I was watching from the entrance to the playing area, and I think that it was a near 100% positive response from the players.

The English Chess Federation have a big decision to make. Support a couple who have made an enormous contribution to English and Scottish chess over a prolonged period, or a self-publicist with an agenda outside of chess.
Lara has asked me to pass on her thanks to above two and all others who have sent their good wishes.

These are much appreciated at a continually trying time.

On a personal note I really cannot believe the reason given by the ECF CEO for its silence. Well, unfortunately I can.
Raymond Keene- Let me give a basic summary of his CV-1978 World championship match- second to Korchnoi on the premise he would not disclose any of the inside match details to the outside world. Guess what ? Book published a few days after the end of the match by Raymond Keene totally against agreement with Victor Korchnoi. Surely he couldn't do something similar again, this rather rotund foundation of the English chess establishment ? Hang on a minute, says Raymond, this looks good, I will just copy this written stuff and say it is by me, ching ching !, Who will know?, says that fine upstanding pillar of Engish society Raymond Keene. Besides, I have a recognised national newspaper backing me up, I can hide in disguise under their very respectable umbrella, they wouldn't employ shady persons, would they? I will just blend in amongst the extremely fine standard of journalists they employ. OOer missus, here comes a story about a t-shirt, now don't titter, maybe I can get some much needed publicity for myself cos folk are saying no very nice things about previous (failed and discredited) companies I have been involved with....... Think that's enough for noo, but knowing Raymond, he will be sitting seething planning his next move....

Robin.
What are Ray Keene's exact comments ?
Seems like a fuss over nothing.
I do not mind being called homophobic.
I am a catholic and disagree with the idea of gay marriage and CJ wearing his t-shirt at a kid's prizgiving.
However I do not dislike CJ
Andy, I've emailed you. If you don't get it let me know.

In very simplistic terms the statements could have an adverse affect on Lara's career, especially since a statement of condemnation and real support from a national body is absent.
In any organization, one has a right I believe to expect public support from ones bosses/colleagues when you come under attack from others for something you have done, especially if done while performing your job. In the event that they believe you have done something wrong that should be dealt with behind closed doors but the public support should still be there. If one has committed something so wrong that support is not possible then some form of statement to that effect is still required.

Silence is simply not an option for any organization that has respect for those that work for it or for the institution itself.
Ok , I read Alex's email and count me in for support

I am fortunate as I work in the private sector and they like my reputation.

My public sector applications result in failure though. On my records are the words sexual pervert, mentally ill, violent, liar etc (all lies)

Ray Keene is guilty of severely bullying the late Tony Miles. Wouldn't be surprised if the stress of this had a part in Miles' early death
Alex,

I don't know where you mailed me but I don't have a mail from you this morning

Regards

Andy
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"