Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Elite Armageddon Championships
A Swiss event with a bit of a twist... Armageddon Sunday!

Will hopefully bring some good, exciting and interesting chess...

Friday 29th – Sunday 31st March at Edinburgh Chess Club

The twenty-four top rated players that enter will be accepted to play in the Scottish Elite Armageddon Championships at Edinburgh Chess Club (1 Alva St Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, EH2 4PH). The strict entry deadline is Saturday the 23rd of March at 10pm. After which, a published list of participants will be publicised. The ratings will be based on CS published ratings or national equivalent.

Friday

Round One: 19:00 – 22:30

90 minutes for 34 moves plus 15 mins quickplay

Saturday

Round Two: 10:00 – 13:30
Round Three: 14:15 – 17:45

Sunday

Round Four: 9:30 – 13:00

After four Swiss rounds there will be a split in the field. The players that finish in the bottom 16 will continue to play in a Swiss for the final round.

Round Five (Consolation Cup for bottom 16): 13:45 – 17:15

The finale will involve the top 8 in Armageddon Sunday. The top 4 will compete for the Championship and 5th to 8th will fight it out for the Plate.

The top ranked player (based on the positions after four Swiss rounds) will play the 4th ranked in the Championship semi-final and 2nd will play 3rd. Similarly, 5th will play 8th and 6th, 7th in the Plate semi-final.

Semi-Finals: 13:45 – 15:15

Third/Fourth Playoffs and Finals: 15:45 – 17:15

Prizegiving as soon as possible after games finish

Armageddon Matches

Players to secretly submit the lowest amount of time they would take to be Black and have draw-odds. That is a draw is equal to a win with Black. The player who submits the lowest amount of time will start with the Black pieces. White will start with 45 minutes and the Black player will start with the amount of time he/she submitted.

Tie-Breaks (for Swiss Standings)

1 – A win is worth more than two draws.
2 – Black wins beat White wins.
3 – The player that has played the least amount of moves in his/her previous wins, wins on tie break. Hopefully this will encourage players to try win in an exciting and quick manner.
4- In the event both players have the same number of moves, a five minute Armageddon match will take place.

Entry:
GM, IM - Free
FM - £10
CS Member - £30
Non CS Member - £32

Prizes:
Championship:
1st - £150
Runner up - £75
Third - £30

Plate:
1st - £50
Runner up - £30

Consolation Cup:
1st – Free Entry to SEAC 2014

Half-Point Byes:
Are permitted in any round as long as you alert the organiser before the tournament begins.

Grading:
All Swiss matches to be CS graded. The Armageddon matches will not be graded.

Participation:
If you are interested, please indicate your aspiration to play by emailing:

davidcoswald at hotmail dot com

The top rated 24 players will have their entry accepted, with the list being published by Sunday the 24th of March.
Sounds awesome!
Sounds nuts (but in good way)! Big Grin

It'll be interesting to see what happens. =)
sounds amazing, buzzing for armageddon sunday (if i get in the top 8...)
This sounds a really interesting format. What I don't get is the timing of the event.

w/e 15th March is Glenrothes (an easy commute from Edinburgh and in it's 25th year)
w/e 22st March SNCL Final round and Scottish team lightening
w/e 29th March (Easter weekend) - this
w/e 12th April - Edinburgh congress

That's 4 full on chess weekends in 5 weeks.Then there is the traditional 5-6 month void for anyone unable to commit their full summer holiday to playing the Scottish.

So for me I'd have loved to play but not on this weekend. Just about any other weekend in following months would have been better. Maybe if it goes well you'll hold another?
George,

Thanks for your message and shame you can't play!

The tournament is the last weekend in March because it was the only weekend I could do in the coming months that didn't clash with another event. But yes, hopefully, the tournament will be a success (so please pass on the details to players who you think might be interested!) and, if so, I will maybe try and organise another one, possibly in June.
D-Oswald Wrote:George,

Thanks for your message and shame you can't play!

The tournament is the last weekend in March because it was the only weekend I could do in the coming months that didn't clash with another event. But yes, hopefully, the tournament will be a success (so please pass on the details to players who you think might be interested!) and, if so, I will maybe try and organise another one, possibly in June.

Sitting here watching candidates today but also wondering how this event is going. In particular I was thinking your armageddon rounds would be great to see live on internet. Maybe if there is a repeat we can get the live boards to cover? (What's happened to these boards, haven't seen them since Oban?)
any results? please Big Grin

i hope the chess police dont give me a row for asking Sad
I'm sure David Oswald or Alex McFarlane (big thanks to both by the way!) will post the full results soon, but just quickly...top-seed FM Alan Tate won the Armageddon Championship final as white vs FM Neil Berry and Gabriel Petesch playing white won the 3rd/4th place play-off versus myself.

The 'Plate' final was won by Graeme Kafka (and a lovely 'plate' it was too!).

Really enjoyable event and an interesting and fun format. Calculators were out this morning to decipher the tie-breaks...Alan Tate got through to the top 4 by virtue of averaging 1 move less than Calum MacQueen in their respective wins!

I think I was the only one who recorded their moves in the Championship play-offs and will try to post them here later if anyone is interested.
David/Alex, thanks for a fantastic event. Big Grin

Andy, I'd be interested to see your games. =)