Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organising tournaments - they've all gone !
I have decided to write my biography for the archives while I can still remember - it's currently 8 pages and I have just realised what debt I owe to Walter Munn, Stewart Reuben, Gerald Bonner and many others who organised these:

Look at this list - all disappeared - are there others ?

Langside Hall junior tournaments
Renfrewshire Open
Glasgow Chess Club and their open tournament
Lloyds Bank International
World U-26 Team champs
World Student Team champs
ARC Young Masters
a competitive Glasgow Schools League
a competitive Scottish Boys Championship
Glasgow Herald U-19 Championships
Glasgow League A K Miller team handicap
Renfrewshire county championship
Scottish county championship
A 14-round Olympiad

Perhaps instead of spending energy on this noticeboard those with time could organise a tournament
I'm seriously considering organising a tournament Andy.

I'm thinking of a FIDE-rated 14 or 18 player Scheveningen with an East-West slant to it - something a bit different from the norm here in Scotland. It might take a while to happen (if ever) but I'd like it if possible to offer norm opportunities for those who don't often get the chance within Scotland, and a bit of money for the titled guys (who don't see enough of that either!)

If it gets past the 'thinking about it' stage I might get in touch to see if you or any of your Hamilton guys would be interested?
Andy B - A word of warning. FIDE does not normally recognise Scheveningens for title norm purposes.

There have been many cases of abuse in the past from this type of event.
You have inside you a smasing book Alex.

All the fueds etc..etc...etc...and you must name all the names.

Sprinkle it with games and positions that have caused arguments.

"Perhaps instead of spending energy on this noticeboard those with time could organise a tournament."

Done it. A 5 round weekend swiss.

Complete and utter chaos.
Did not realise the playing rooms were getting painted on the chosen date so
shifted the date forward one week. (without realising it was Eater Weekend.)

Only two players turned up. (plus two arbiters and a spectator.)

There was one game played. Brian Duncan v Joe Middleton.
If Joe had rolled the bones and threw himself at the feet of the Gods.
(played an unsound double Rook sac.) He could have ended up mating White thus:

[pgn][FEN "r1b1k2r/2p2pQp/p2p4/1p5q/4P1n1/2P2N2/PPB3PP/R1B1R1K1 b kq - 0 18"]

18... Be6 19. Qxh8+ Kd7 20. Qxa8 Qc5+ 21. Kh1 Nf2+ 22. Kg1 Nh3+ 23. Kh1 Qg1+ 24. Nxg1 Nf2[/pgn]

Found some guy in the bar who liked Raymond Keene to present the prize.

The whole sorry tale is here:

http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandler...handID=244
Alex McFarlane Wrote:Andy B - A word of warning. FIDE does not normally recognise Scheveningens for title norm purposes.

There have been many cases of abuse in the past from this type of event.

Sad I didn't know that Alex - thanks for the info. Most of the abuses I've read about were small all-play-alls (there was a famous one in Macedonia years ago) and things like the Myanmar (Burma) rating scandal.

Any particular reason why a Scheveningen system tournament would be more open to abuse than others? I seem to recall Michael Adams (maybe?) getting one of his GM norms in a tournament of this sort in Belgium when he was young.
There are a couple of ways.

Basically, in an all-play-all losing to someone means that a competitor gets a point and could reduce your prize money.
In a Shev everyone could lose to one or two of the opposition without affecting the result of their own tournament.

Even if there is no blatent cheating it can be easier to put a field together which may improve chances.
A team of 9 2200s v 3 IMs and 6 2000s (inc 2WFMs or FMs) would have a good chance of creating IM norms. The benefit is that the norm candidates don't have to face each other and can instead defeat some lower rated players and score against an IM or two. To score 7/9 in such circumstances may not be easy but it is more likely than in a Swiss or APA.
Alex McFarlane Wrote:There are a couple of ways.

Basically, in an all-play-all losing to someone means that a competitor gets a point and could reduce your prize money.
In a Shev everyone could lose to one or two of the opposition without affecting the result of their own tournament.

Even if there is no blatent cheating it can be easier to put a field together which may improve chances.
A team of 9 2200s v 3 IMs and 6 2000s (inc 2WFMs or FMs) would have a good chance of creating IM norms. The benefit is that the norm candidates don't have to face each other and can instead defeat some lower rated players and score against an IM or two. To score 7/9 in such circumstances may not be easy but it is more likely than in a Swiss or APA.

Hmmm...would having a highly-respected, licenced International Arbiter in charge make any difference? 8)
Or is it just the potential for dodgy dealings which is the problem?

My thoughts were to have 9 2200's chasing norms against 3 IM's and 6 FM's (or thereabouts - being paid for their trouble). I know I'd have to get the ratings/titles/nations represented sorted out in detail).

If any IM's or FM's would like to contact me confidentially with their conditions please do so. Although, again, this is still in the 'ideas' stage rather than definitely going to happen. Obviously what Alex is telling me will have to be factored in, along with a hundred other things!
Hawick, Borders, East of Scotland (now in with Edinburgh) and, going back a bit, Aberdeen are congresses that immediately spring to my mind. We need to try and make it easier to organise an event to encourage people to do it. Ireland have a system where you bring your own chess set to play on in a tournament (except the top section). I know this is a minor point and there are a many other things to think about (venue, balancing the books, tables, chairs etc) when organising an event. But lots of little things like this could make it more simple to do.