Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
queen promotion
I was playing a game at my chess club last week at Musselburgh and both me and my opponent were short of time I just promoted a pawn and said queen please which my opponent change the pawn for a queen then his flag fell and he said that he should not have to change the pawn for a queen in his time and went on to say the game was null in void which I just laughed at and I walked away now this was a friendly game but was wondering what is the correct procedure for the promoting of a pawn to a queen is it your opponents job or your own ? Thanks for you help in this matter.

Jim Crawford
Pushing the Pawn to the other side of the board and then replacing it with a Queen should be done by you before you press the clock (i.e. it's all part of the move). Big Grin
Thank Andrew that does seem fair and that's what
I will do from now on but all the years That I have played chess my opponents have usuly put the queen on the board for me as it is on there side of the board, lesson to be learnt.
Jim Crawford Wrote:Thank Andrew that does seem fair and that's what
I will do from now on but all the years That I have played chess my opponents have usuly put the queen on the board for me as it is on there side of the board, lesson to be learnt.

You may decide not to promote to a Queen anyway. Big Grin I've promoted to a Knight on a few occasions, and even a Bishop once - although I can't remember why now. Never a Rook though - I'll have to try that some day. :U
Never mind letting your opponent put the queen on the board, you should intimidate your opponent by grabbing the queen 2 or 3 moves before its potential arrival on the board, ready for her entrance into action. I did this (twice!) last week in an internal club game.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Come to think of it, if my opponent just pushed their pawn and then pressed the clock waiting for me to position the promotion on the board, I think I might just leave it as a pawn and play as if it still was a pawn. That ought to teach you Jim! ;P
thanks for those warm words of wisdom, well from know on I will grab the queen and thump it down hard on the board lol Big Grin
I should add that if you leave the pawn on the board and press the clock, you are in danger or an arbiter declaring an illegal move and awarding your opponent time
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Cheers Andy, boy this chess game is more complicated than a game of conkers :\
Starting your opponent's clock without exchanging the pawn for another piece is an illegal move as Andy says and would result in a penalty which could be 2 minutes to the opponent or even the loss of the game depending on the type of chess being played.

Another point to be considered is the following scenario. Player pushes pawn to edge of the board and starts opponent's clock. Opponent replaces pawn with queen and announces that he is in stalemate.
The player then claims that he didn't make the move. All hell breaks out.