Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recognition for Chess in Scotland
Derek Howie Wrote:Andy, I fail to see how it is a statement of fact when there are no definites involved. You say it may be easier. So it therefore may be harder?

Isn't the "may" referring to the possibility that the referendum might return a "No" vote?
David Deary Wrote:I doubt I'd be able to run a half marathon with or without the six hour chess game before it.
I reckon we should put your claim to the test Mr McHarg. ;P

^That's how my post should have been phrased.
I don't seem to be able to edit my post is there a time lock or something on editing posts?
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Hmm Steve might be right; you can't run and you're rubbish at Chess - I'm beginning to see a correlation! :U

Actually I do a lot more running than I do playing Chess. Big Grin My combined run/cycle per week amounts to more than 150km. ;P

Ouch... ;P I'm not as bad at chess as I am at running. Have you seen me run? 8)

At any rate I'm not entering this debate as I can see both sides of the argument and quite frankly I just want more funding in chess regardless of how it is achieved whether as a sport or as an educational activity.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
=o
For the first time I find myself agreeing with everything Mr Hilton is saying regarding this matter.
=|

I need to lay down in a dark corner and take my medication ;|
Pat. You agreeing with something I said Big Grin Big Grin
Needed resucitation from the shock Pat Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
There are two things that are near certanties. One is that we will rise the grant in the near future, the other is that the UK will finally recognise chess as sport along with the majority of the rest of the world.

I always laugh when people say we will get next to no money. We get next to no money at the moment so losing next to nothing is not as severe as losing over 100k as happened to the ECF when they lost theirs.

There is a major push by fide to get chess into the Olympics and as Stewart Ruben reminded me of the other week, it was a demonstration sport at the Sydney games. With Agon on board you are going to see chess on tv more and more. I've heard what they have planned for the candidates in March and if they pull it off it will be special.

Here is something to throw into the mix. With chess as a sport, clubs renting from councils will find that their rents will decrease and in some cases will be nil. Lanarkshire don't charge rents for junior clubs. Who would benefit from that?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
If Chess is included within the Olympics it'll only really be watched by Chess players. Other people might switch it on out of curiosity, but I suspect they will lose interest rapidly and change to something else. Why? Chess is not a spectator sport at the best of times (unless you are a Chess player), and it's incredibly tough for someone who barely knows the rules to get any enjoyment out of watching it. Particularly true when watching it invariable means looking at a couple of foreign Grandmasters stare at the position for an extended period. I can't be the only one who thinks that this scenario will simply confirm the view held by the majority that Chess is not a sport - at least not in the conventional sense.

Sports/games where the rules are easy to pick up and follow; where there is a clear and obvious objective that doesn't require you to study a rule book to understand; where there are moments that have you on the edge of your seat; where you feel the inclination to cheer and shout in support... these are what people will watch. Chess, as brilliant as it is in its own right, is not brilliant in the same way as Olympic sports. We'd be best, as previously mentioned, to focus on what makes Chess unique and brilliant, instead of trying to make it fit the mould of what makes everything else the same or similar.
Andy Howie Wrote:There are two things that are near certanties. One is that we will rise the grant in the near future, the other is that the UK will finally recognise chess as sport along with the majority of the rest of the world.

I always laugh when people say we will get next to no money. We get next to no money at the moment so losing next to nothing is not as severe as losing over 100k as happened to the ECF when they lost theirs.

There is a major push by fide to get chess into the Olympics and as Stewart Ruben reminded me of the other week, it was a demonstration sport at the Sydney games. With Agon on board you are going to see chess on tv more and more. I've heard what they have planned for the candidates in March and if they pull it off it will be special.

Here is something to throw into the mix. With chess as a sport, clubs renting from councils will find that their rents will decrease and in some cases will be nil. Lanarkshire don't charge rents for junior clubs. Who would benefit from that?
"With Agon on board you are going to see chess on tv more and more."
can anyone tell me when chess was last on the TV
Earlier this year and I made a cameo appearance
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"