Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Edinburgh Win BUCA
Congratulations to the University of Edinburgh chess team who won the British Universities' last weekend.

http://www.buca.org.uk/news/2012-buca-ch...uary-25-26

The team consisted of Adam Bremner (B1), Gabriel Petesch (B2), Boris Mitrovic (B3), Clément Sreeves (B4).

Also, well done to Clément who won Best Board 4 and to Adam for a great performance on board 1 - Including a win against a 2400 for Adam. Adam's TPR was 2376, and Clément's was 2344.
I wondered how long this would take to be posted here. I first saw this result courtesy of the English Chess Forum last week, on Tuesday or Wednesday. At the time I had very limited access to the internet, visiting the Mitchell Library, and was sure someone else would post the result.

That it took 11 days for this to appear is inexplicable in this day and age. Why did no-one from Edinburgh University post? Clement even posted on a different topic without mentioning it.

Sometimes it is acceptable to blow your own trumpet, and this is one of them.

Well done Edinburgh University.
well done guys!
Yea... well done guys! Big Grin

Clement is too modest.
Congratulations to Edinburgh University! Big Grin

Thats some team btw! Clément on 4!
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Yeah, well done guys. Fantastic result for Clement on 4.
Just a quick shout out to Boris Mitrovic too for winning the board prize on b3, with 4.5/5.
Quote:Just a quick shout out to Boris Mitrovic too

Word on that.

Seriously though, congratulations to all of you. Really impressive achievement.
Hang on a minute, if the Championship was played over the weekend of 25/26 February, how did Andy McCulloch know the winners around 21/22 February? And why did he not then head for the local bookies and place a very large bet on Edinburgh Uni to win?

Congatulations to EU anyways - and their "reserve" team also won promotion to Division 1 of the SNCL at the same time. If they can keep most of their team together, they could be serious contenders for the SNCL Div 1 trophy next season.

Incidentally, is the Peter Vas who played on board 2 for BPP the same person who was at school in Aberdeen a few years ago?
Donald Wilson Wrote:Incidentally, is the Peter Vas who played on board 2 for BPP the same person who was at school in Aberdeen a few years ago?

Indeed it was, and his brother Victor was there too. I remember them from my Quarryhill days, starting to show my age...