Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some topics of interest from the International Directors report
(13-04-2018, 04:36 PM)George Neave Wrote: There were a couple of topics that particularly caught my eye in the International Director's report attached to the most recent CS committee minutes posted on this website. I wonder if these points are of sufficient interest to the wider membership to merit some discussion here? Specifically what I was thinking about was:

1) Seniors seeking SCO affiliation
Presumably to aid chances of selection for internationals? I'm intrigued who this would be! I hope that rules will not be relaxed. As the demographic for active chess players in Scotland continues to skew into senior territory I hope we do not have our possible team places hijacked by "foreigners". What are the current rules here I wonder? Personally I would hope any proposed changes would go to AGM.

2) No International Budget
I understand the organisation is strapped for cash but I would have thought entry fees for events such as Olympiad of European Championships ought to be close to top of the list of funding priorities. I wonder what is coming ahead of these? I'd appreciate if someone in the know could clarify here or point me towards where this information is shared with the general membership. I am sure this will be of interest to all paid up members like myself.

Hi George,
(I'm in now Poland at the Euro Seniors Team Championships which starts tomorrow so won't be responding much over the next 10 or 12 days.)

Pont 1
Slight error here - That item should have been separated from the "Seniors" headline - it is a more general than solely seniors. As far as I am aware there are no proposed changes to Federation Change requests or eligibility criteria at this time.

Point 2
We are trying to build a Reserve Fund and put Chess Scotland onto a stable financial footing. Then we will revisit payment of fees for these, but unfortunately our financial resources are rater limited resources are limited at this time.

(13-04-2018, 06:39 PM)robin moore Wrote: Having also read through the minutes of the meetings I remain baffled as to why we are throwing resources at the Glorney. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it's a diddy event but it is compared to the pinnacle events like the World Youth,  World Cadet, Euroyouth, Under 16 Olympiad etc,  events where we receive fully funded places for all our players plus a Fide registered coach.

Robin,

I'm afraid that I'm not posting to clear "I remain baffled"

The resources being "thrown" at the Glorney are predominantly people and time who are putting a lot of effort into trying to ensure, that as host nation, that this event is a success.

More importantly all the youngsters in the various squads WANT to play in this event, and even look forward to it. That's 20 youngsters being catered for rather than 4/5 for a single team

Once again this is the only posting I'm going to make from Poland!

We have launched an appeal for this and I hope people can see it to make even a small contribution towards it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some topics of interest from the International Directors report - by Jim Webster - 13-04-2018, 08:00 PM