Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNCL
How about adjudication of all unfinished games at 2pm ? This would allow a full one hour break and all games start at 3pm.
We had adjudications in the good old days when games not finished on time.
(19-10-2017, 06:38 PM)amuir Wrote: How about adjudication of all unfinished games at 2pm ? This would allow a full one hour break and all games start at 3pm.

Sure, let's go back to the good old days where players weren't responsible for the results of their own games! Or you could just turn up and play and deal with it?
[quote pid='18454' dateline='1508435914']
(19-10-2017, 06:38 PM)amuir Wrote: How about adjudication of all unfinished games at 2pm ? This would allow a full one hour break and all games start at 3pm.

[/quote]

Andy,

From 2021 (I think that is the year but it might be 2020) norms will not be available unless 30 second increments are used.
Games which are adjudicated cannot be rated currently.

DGT through the FIDE Development Commission are selling clocks very cheaply, let's join the rest of the world in the 21st Century and make use of this offer.

(19-10-2017, 09:50 PM)Alex McFarlane Wrote: [quote pid='18454' dateline='1508435914']

Andy,

From 2021 (I think that is the year but it might be 2020) norms will not be available unless 30 second increments are used.
Games which are adjudicated cannot be rated currently.

DGT through the FIDE Development Commission are selling clocks very cheaply, let's join the rest of the world in the 21st Century and make use of this offer.
[/quote]
Hamilton, with a few prehistoric beings in the squad, are struggling to raise a team this year, when will the 1st round draw be made ?
The decision to move to an incremental time control was made at the SNCL agm in March so should go ahead for this season. However, Andy Muir has raised a serious point regarding the effect of a long morning game. Personally I once had a very short gap between games due to the morning round starting late and being in a game which went right to the quickplay time limit and felt it affected my afternoon form (any excuse will do).

A game lasting 90 moves can continue till 2:30. A game lasting 120 moves can continue until 3 when the next round starts. Is it practical to allow individuals a minimum time between rounds? If this was set at half an hour, it would only come into effect for games lasting over 90 moves.
(18-10-2017, 01:50 PM)John Watkins Wrote: When is the cut off date for entries?

Any reply to this question yet?
John Watkins
Andy M - adjudication, really?!?! I'm astonished that a strong and experienced player would propose such an unsatisfactory and downright unfair way of deciding the result of a game.

Generally speaking I'm a fan of increments, and I trust the organisers to come up with a time control which will see most games end in decent time, with only a tiny fraction likely to run close to the starting time of the second game. It's a fact of chess that whenever you have two games in a day, players involved in a long first game are likely to feel some fatigue going into the next one. Sometimes it will be you; other times it will be your opponents, and we all just have to deal with it as best we can.

I agree that there should be a certain minimum guaranteed break between games, even if it's (for example) as little as 15 minutes to allow players involved in a marathon game to visit the loo and grab a snack/coffee before the next game. Hopefully, the starting times of afternoon games will only have to be postponed in rare and extreme cases.
(20-10-2017, 11:41 AM)John Watkins Wrote:
(18-10-2017, 01:50 PM)John Watkins Wrote: When is the cut off date for entries?

Any reply to this question yet?
If you read the "Introduction letter" on the calendar entry for the SNCL it claims the 10th of October 2015 as the last date for entry.

Which makes the draw rather easy as everyone has failed to enter. I assumed around the 10th this year.
I am going to set Wednesday as the cut off. Glynis and I need to hear from Hamilton, IPCC and Musselburgh by then. If nothing is heard by then, I am going with the teams I have
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Hamilton and Musselburgh have confirmed. Just waiting on IPCC now
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"