Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
Online Voting went live at 12:01 this morning, first vote was in at 2am!

For members who will not make the AGM and still want to vote, log into the main website and the link is under the membership tab.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I knew things were going too well

While I was authenticating the votes in so far, I noticed that one question had dropped off of the survey. There is a limit of 10 questions before we have to start paying for it.

The missing motion from the online vote is

". Use of the main Chess Scotland Forum to be accessed and used only by active
Chess Scotland members and affiliates, and special guest users ( as specifically
determined by the management committee ) Guest users may be potential users
who will be allocated a specific period of time. There may also be a public forum
accessible by all users. Members who will to apply to the forum must supply a
PNUM and current email address on application. Membership of the forum is not
an automatic right and may be rescinded at any point. (Ian Brownlee and
Hamish Glen)"

I will contact everyone who has voted so far and get their vote for this. Anyone else voting, can you please email both myself and Jim (Jim is acting as the checker) with your vote for this. You have to Vote online before you can send the email vote in for this issue!

Apologies for this
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Regarding motion 1..

"That the posts of Home Director (Junior) and International Junior Director are merged and a new post of Director of Junior Chess formed. (Andy Howie and Jim Webster). "

If this motion is passed, what methodology will be in place to decide which of the successful elected candidates for International Junior Director and Home Junior Director will take on the new role of Director of Junior Chess?
Regarding motion 5....

"All non-affiliated Chess organisations that utilise the Chess Scotland grading system will be charged at rates, as determined by, and in accordance, with Chess Scotland Constitution paragraph 6.3. These grading charges, determined under Chess Scotland financial reviews shall apply to all games submitted for the main grading list. Allegro games will currently be exempt from grading charges. (Jim Webster and Hamish Glen)"

If passed this motion appears to negate the junior chess fees applicable as from 1st September 2017 from the new financial structure....

"Junior Grading Fees Junior tournaments will now be liable for a grading fee of 50p per head. Fees will be applied as follows: 1) Individual events only and where an entry fee is applied a. (not team events which will continue to be graded free). 2) Domestic school and internal junior club events will continue to be graded free."

Effectively if passed, the proposal enables all junior organisations, both affiliated to ChessScotland and non-affiliates, to have all their games graded for free by CS on the allegro list.
Regarding motion 5.

I think that Robin's interpretation is correct.

Despite some rather clumsy syntax in the motion - - -"will currently be"  I assume that is future tense rather than present tense.
Robin is correct, we do not charge for junior allegro games and will continue to maintain this practice. We have no plans to change this.
Motion 5 in full

Motion
All non-affiliated Chess organisations that utilise the Chess Scotland grading system will be
charged at rates, as determined by, and in accordance, with Chess Scotland Constitution
paragraph 6.3. These grading charges, determined under Chess Scotland financial reviews
shall apply to all games submitted for the main grading list. Allegro games will currently be
exempt from grading charges. (Jim Webster and Hamish Glen)

My personal take on Motion 5.
Motion 5 takes part of the constitution and states that it will be followed.

So why is this motion needed? 
Am I missing something?
One possible interpretation would be that 'all games of 25 minutes or less shall be graded free on the allegro list, but be charged at 50p per entrant per event, if on the main list'.
Motion 1 proposes

1. That the posts of Home Director (Junior) and International Junior Director are merged and a new post of Director of Junior Chess formed. (Andy Howie and Jim Webster).

The current Constitution allows a candidate to hold more than one post in Chess Scotland. Therefore if one person wishes to take on both existing Junior Directorships and the AGM agrees that is perfectly permissible. This has the flexibility that if the combined role is considered too much (time, effort etc) but a couple of able candidates would take on the separate roles then that is also possible under the current Constitution. So the current situation is more flexible as it permits either one or two people to take on these roles.
                There are (or will be) separate Operating Procedures to cover both posts and where these are occupied by a one person then a short Operating Procedure can be written to cover any consequences of the combined role. Modification to  Operating Procedures can be approved by Council or the Management Board and this is more efficient than having to change the Constitution at an AGM or SGM.
                I see no requirement for a Constitutional change and will therefore will oppose the motion.
The previous 2 elections have resulted in the successful junior director candidates quitting before the end of their term. Whoever gets the post(s) could they please give serious consideration to the commitment and organisational skills required and could they please ensure transparency, inclusiveness and engagement with the existing junior organisers around the country.