Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "British"
Rachel and I will be playing, and I see Callum (another regular) is also going. I'll be playing myself too, though given John Nunn(!) is in my section I'd suggest we focus on the kids games!

It would be great to see more of our youngsters playing in this, but I know it's hard - wouldn't it be great if someday Scotland was part of Britain.

Anyway, fingers crossed.
[Sarah's having a break this year - crazy busy summer]
We also have
Keti Arakhamia-Grant, Craig Prittchet and Jonathon Grant playing in the Championship
Douglas McKerracher playing in the 65+

In other events during the British we also have Andrew McCulloch (Giffnock), Mark J Smith and Keith Aitchison (both Edinburgh)

Good luck to you all.
Peter made an interesting and fair tongue-in-cheek comment in another thread about when Scotland used to be in Britain, in reference to the British Championship currently underway.

So I don't know much about the history, but out of nothing other than curiosity and general interest, I am wondering if someone can answer a couple of Q's.

1. When was the last time the event was in Scotland?
2. Is there a particular reason that it can be held in Wales (or even England), but not in Scotland?
1. 2003 or 2004 in Edinburgh if I remember correctly

2. politics Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Thanks. I thought it might have been longer ago, but I suppose 13-14 years is a fair time to have passed. Chess and politics being mixed, who would have thought Smile
(28-07-2017, 02:37 PM)PeterReidSmith Wrote: Rachel and I will be playing, and I see Callum (another regular) is also going. I'll be playing myself too, though given John Nunn(!) is in my section I'd suggest we focus on the kids games!

It would be great to see more of our youngsters playing in this, but I know it's hard - wouldn't it be great if someday Scotland was part of Britain.

Anyway, fingers crossed.
[Sarah's having a break this year - crazy busy summer]

Good luck against John Nunn on Friday !!
John Watkins
Good luck Peter. Got to beat the best to be the best !
Go get him Peter best of luck
Thanks, 4.5hr game but he eventually got me in an ending that's probably drawn. Very much enjoyed the experience of playing someone who'd been one of the first super elite I'd read about c.40 years ago(!) - the loss of a few tournament places (to those "lucky" enough not to have to play him) is small beer in comparison.
Well done to Callum Smith (no relation, b.t.w) on coming equal 4th in the under 16s. Callum beat both of Wales top female WCMs, and (darn it) our Rachel. As always seems to happen, the only two Scots in the group met on round two - no doubt just silicon randomness, though you'd be forgiven for feeling 'twas-always-thus-and-always-thus-'twill-be in this tourney. I notice the Grant's had an unfortunate pairing in the championship.