Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edinburgh Chess Academy
Article in today's Times - Edinburgh Chess Academy
I probably shouldn't do this but the subscription part reads -

the problem at the moment is that kids play chess at primary school if they are lucky enough to have a club, and by the time they get to secondary school there is nowhere for them to learn.
“Other countries seem to recognise chess’s educational benefits, which include problem-solving abilities.
“I would love to get as many children falling in love with chess as possible, but I would also love to get Scotland really good at chess. As a country we have had some success already. I think we can have even more.”
Mr Green tutors 350 schoolchildren every week, with some of his students going on to represent Scotland in competitions and win European and Commonwealth championships.
After securing funding from two sponsors, Rob Dobson, a technology entrepreneur, and Gareth Williams, the chief executive of the travel aggregator website Skyscanner, he launched a test run of the academy a month ago.
It will officially open its doors on September 17. Weekend lessons are to run from a base at Stewart’s Melville College, the independent school for boys in Edinburgh, where annual boarding fees cost more than £22,000.
Mr Green, who is a former pupil of the college, will teach beginner, intermediate and expert classes to children of primary and secondary ages, alongside a second tutor.
They will also visit eight schools across Edinburgh including Flora Stevenson Primary School, St George’s School for Girls, and Fettes College, during and after school hours to run a more informal chess club.
Part of the academy’s appeal is that it can teach chess as a subject recognised on the school curriculum. “That is happening in other countries such as Armenia, where chess is compulsory,” Mr Green said.
“Nowhere else is doing that in Scotland.”
The latest technology such as touch-screen laptops will be employed along with “over-the-board” lessons and lectures. It is this combination of teaching styles, Mr Green believes, that will help to engage Scotland’s talent from an early age.
“Unfortunately most chess teachers tend to be very old and out of touch with the younger generation,” he added. “Most simply move magnetic chess pieces around an old demo board. I am doing things in a different way.”
I am glad it is being noticed.

The website is now live: www.edinburghchessacademy.com

Initial focus is on juniors but I plan to also do adult classes in the future.