Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS Primary and Secondary Team Championships
For a variety of reasons these events didn't happen last year. Can I ask at what stage are the preparations for this year?

The situation requires to be looked at earlier this year with a view to allowing other organisations to run the events on our behalf if necessary. I believe SJC will be running Primary and LJC will be hosting Secondary events so they would seem like the best current options if agreeable by all parties.
is it appropriate or even desirable for a non affiliated organisation (SJC) to run any part of CS affairs? I thought we had junior directors and others within CS responsible for all things junior? If so then these responsible people will run the junior tournaments.
Smile) Smile) Smile)
Sorry Pat but i find your post an unnecessary distraction to the original question, which still remains unanswered. We had a junior director last year who failed miserably to provide either event. This year we seem to have "lost" a couple of junior directors before they managed to provide either (to my knowledge they haven't been replaced). So I'll ask again, in the interests of junior chess in Scotland, are these events going to happen this year and who is going to provide them?
Hi Harry

As far as I'm aware, there are no plans, at the moment, for CS run Primary or Secondary Team Championships this year. The junior calendar is full to bursting with events up and down the country, organised by the various junior bodies, which is fantastic to see.

Thanks are due to the NEJCA, who are once again hosting the Scottish Girls Championship, on behalf of Chess Scotland, at Lathallan School for the third year running, following the highly successful two previous events.

The Secondary events that Lothian Junior Chess are planning for this season is an exciting venture, which I hope will be supported by teams from throughout the country, will be successful and may possibly be replicated by other regions.

All of the junior bodies do their best to avoid events clashing and I would like to thank SJC for offering to move their Scottish Primary Team Championships which had been scheduled for the second weekend in June 2016, to allow Chess Scotland to hold The Primary Individual Championships that weekend.

The Primary Individual Championships will return to Dolphin House in Culzean Country Park next year. This is a popular venue which has been used in the not too distant past and was enjoyed by the children who participated. This has all been booked for the second weekend in June.

The SJC Chess for Kicks events offer chess playing kids throughout Scotland the chance to play chess at well organised and enjoyable events, with participation and success in the CFK Finals the ultimate goal. Nearly all of the regions host at least one CFK qualifier and the finals at Fir Park Stadium will no doubt be the highlight of the season for many of the kids.

While the different junior bodies all have their own events, ideas and objectives, it is apparent to me that they are all working for the overall benefit of junior chess throughout Scotland. It may be that we can all work together to find a solution to your question for this year but given the fixture congestion that may not be quite possible, without a bit of goodwill on all sides and a lot of co-operation.

David
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Thanks for the clarification David. I happen to know that you have been landed with a considerable burden of responsibility this year so if I do seem seem somewhat pointed in my questioning please be assured that I'm not targeting you.

I agree its tremendous that we have 3 superb organisations (minimum) working for junior chess players in Scotland (regardless of their various affiliation!)

It does bring me back to my original post though, which was to ask whether CS could piggy back on one or more of the aforementioned's events and in doing so potentially provide extra kudos with a CS title.

I was hoping to table this notion/motion at a forthcoming CS Council meeting but I'm beginning to wonder if such a thing exists any more? They would seem about as scare as a chairperson update on the noticeboard!
I meant President of course not chairperson. AGM was so long ago I'd forgotten!

If you're busy Jim, even a buongiorno would be nice :-)
Hi Harry
I'm hoping to catch up with you tomorrow afternoon at the Hamilton Junior Congress both in my capacity in helping lanark Chess Club (Junior section) and as a representative of Stepps Chess Club (your nearby adult chess club) is that OK? I have a couple of matters to bring up which I am hoping you can help with. If I promise not to come as home director will you promise not to stone me? Only kidding but i've still got the bruises from last time
Always a pleasure Ian.

If you ended up with only bruises last time then you've been lucky :-)
harrymarron Wrote:They would seem about as scare as a chairperson update on the noticeboard!
I meant President of course not chairperson. AGM was so long ago I'd forgotten!

If you're busy Jim, even a buongiorno would be nice

Siete benvenuti e buon giorno

Jim
Presidente
Scacchi Scozia

By the way - an agenda item can be submitted for a council meeting at any time.