Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Candidates for President
It's approaching the AGM and we have not heard from our two candidates for President and what they intend to do. Both Ian and Jim are frequent posters on here and hopefully they don't mind answering some questions.

This will allow us to decide on the best candidate and hopefully the vote will be based on policies and not on someone turning up with 60 proxies again after trawling through their list of contacts to harvest votes for their mate.

I'm sure others will have their own questions and may wish to add them to the thread.

1. What do you plan to do to promote junior chess further?
2. What are your plans for improving CS communication?
3. What steps would you take to try and heal some of the rifts within chess in Scotland that have occurred over the past few years?
4. What other improvements would you like to make to CS?
Hi Derek

Derek Howie Wrote:. What do you plan to do to promote junior chess further?2. What are your plans for improving CS communication?3. What steps would you take to try and heal some of the rifts within chess in Scotland that have occurred over the past few years?4. What other improvements would you like to make to CS?

1. I believe all the existing junior organisations both within and outside CS have a part to play and as far as primary schools are concerned , as someone said to me yesterday, we're not in a bad place on this one. However I believe that secondary schools could be massively improved and as I've stated below, this has to come from national level downwards with a view to get chess clubs and schools connected. I've always said regional ambassadors for Chess Scotland is the key to do this, by promoting communication, whether as regional and national level. I passionately believe this can be done.

2. Easy one this. Get out and about and talk to local clubs and regional leagues and get things done. Not just the President although I accept its mainly his responsibility. Communication is the main weapon against apathy and I want to declare war on apathy.

3. Not so easy this one but still doable. Bring everything and everyone to the table and try and sort it out. A lot of people have given up on this, a lot of people. I'm not one of them and I will continually try, please bear with me. At the end of the day however Chess Scotland is the authority in Scotland and must be respected and its rules and regulations adhered to. We all have to move on else the only people that will lose out are the chess players who want to play without the politics that can manifest itself.

4. Communication is the key to everything, so that has to be improved. I've already hinted at regional ambassadors, one or two from each regional who in turn talk to their fellow members and exchange ideas. I would also like to see a more standardised coaching structure with a common syllabus for teaching and properly funded. Yesterday I heard a cracking idea from a Chess Scotland official about organising teaching sessions for coaches and getting serious funding from it (from the regional authorities?? ) Jeely piece time ( I can get a jeely piece from anyone )
Further on funding, I would think that as a national body and as part of FIDE, funding is not out of our reach. Coaching is one area, disability funding is another. I would also like to acknowledge the funding already appropriated from existing CS Directors and officers and thank them for their efforts
Finally I believe we can increase our memberships both by tapping into resources such as online chess, and making a concerted efforts into organisations such as the RNIB. I've already made approaches into out existing affiliated disabled organisations and I firmly believe with a combined effort of our members we can nearly double our CS membership over the next three years.

Here is my manifesto which I've sent out to interested parties
1. Get everyone working together which I hope to kick off by trying to get as wide ranging group of people to work together in various posts. Try and get a more positive ambiance and promote constructive ideas
2. Get the secondary schools connecting to Chess Scotland at national level, ideally for each school(authority|) to get a regional point of contact
3. Help organise the junior environment by promoting junior chess at all levels and engaging existing organisations to achieve that goal under CS rules and regulations
4. Organise serious sponsorship for Chess Scotland , already making a wee bit of progress on that one
5. Communicate and encourage CS membership for existing online chess clubs through organised sites such as chess.com
6. Encourage grass roots involvement by arranging visits with local chess clubs
7. Supporting the initiative of our existing directors with a supportive hands on approach
8. Establish communication with disabled organisations and with our affiliate members such as the Braille Chess Association

I would also like to point out that I would like to talk to anyone and discuss these points with any interested parties and would encourage as many members as possible to come to the AGM so that we can all discuss the future of CS and what we can all do to help.
Let’s not fall into the trap of being too dismissive of proxy votes.

In Chess Scotland we have a relatively small number of people who are very active on the forum and contribute enthusiastically at meetings. There is a far greater number of players who have little or no interest in the forum and, for whatever reason, do not attend meetings.

Until such time as we establish a comprehensive electronic voting system to canvass the views of all members, proxy voting is one way of ensuring that as many as possible of us contribute to the decision process.
Derek does have a point;
Quote:This will allow us to decide on the best candidate and hopefully the vote will be based on policies and not on someone turning up with 60 proxies again after trawling through their list of contacts to harvest votes for their mate.

a few years ago an individual made dubious use of lists to solicit proxy votes in his favour. not only was the email to me unwelcome it may have breach data protection act.

It is good to ensure as many votes as possible are cast and proxy votes are a fair way to ensure this so Dicks point is valid too.
If I can put peoples minds at rest. No one is going to the AGM with 60 proxy votes.

Provided we can get the constitution changed. we will have electronic voting for members for next years AGM. Andy McHarg and I have worked out how to do it
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I am posting here a statement regarding the forthcoming President Vote at the AGM, to complement the manifesto posted by Ian.

I will be more than happy to discuss this position at the AGM, which I believe is the appropriate arena for this type of discussion.

What do I bring to Chess Scotland?

An open mind, and a firm commitment to the constitution of Chess Scotland.

A resolve to bring together the differing interests of any factions within CS, so that everyone works together for the common good.

A background in chess organisation, such as Dunfermline club secretary, Central Chess League President/Vice President, CS council member, CS sub-committee member, instrumental in some parts of the constitution development within the Constitution Working Party. I have been a member of CS (formerly SCA) for over 40 years so am very familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the organisation.

High level of proficiency in ICT, a skill set which will be needed if we are to use technology improve communication and to help democratise Chess Scotland.

A professional background at senior level in industry. Managing and working on developing new technologies both in hardware and software at company level and involvement in chairing international meetings.

As President my main goals would be:

• promote ways of involving a greater part of the membership, not only at General Meetings but also in the more routine functions of CS.
• lead the complete management board into taking a more visible, accountable and pro-active part in CS, not just a few overworked individuals working in isolation. Within this to look at ways to make decisions and actions more transparent with better communication to the membership.
• develop strategies to encourage clubs, league, affiliates and individuals (young and old) to become members of CS.
• encourage the Management Board to develop both short- and long-term goals, visible to and supported by the membership. Be a visible and approachable President not only for all the membership but also external organisations, be it for fund raising, sponsorship or simply promoting CS publically.

In terms of the long-term future of chess in Scotland we need to set up a task force to investigate the practicality of bringing initiatives such as the “Chess in Schools” into Scottish schools and try to find a means to develop this into a working enterprise, or something equally suitable, for the CS environment
– just don’t ask me how or what yet!
Dick Heathwood Wrote:Let’s not fall into the trap of being too dismissive of proxy votes.

In Chess Scotland we have a relatively small number of people who are very active on the forum and contribute enthusiastically at meetings. There is a far greater number of players who have little or no interest in the forum and, for whatever reason, do not attend meetings.

Until such time as we establish a comprehensive electronic voting system to canvass the views of all members, proxy voting is one way of ensuring that as many as possible of us contribute to the decision process.

For proxy votes to be credible, the instructions given to the proxy vote holder must be published before the meeting. This would make things more transparent
Having read briefly the manifestos both candidates for the post of President, I notice one significant word missing that is reconciliation.
I believed when I stood for the Presidency in 2013 that reconciliation was necessary in order for the organisation to move forward.
Sadly since then I have seen precious little of that in the 2 years since I stood
StevieHilton Wrote:Having read briefly the manifestos both candidates for the post of President, I notice one significant word missing that is reconciliation.
I believed when I stood for the Presidency in 2013 that reconciliation was necessary in order for the organisation to move forward.
Sadly since then I have seen precious little of that in the 2 years since I stood

The word 'reconciliation' may be missing Steve, but both candidates have clearly addressed the need to heal the rifts which exist. Of course, there has to be a willingness on both/all sides to engage in such an endeavour.
The word 'reconciliation' may be missing Steve, but both candidates have clearly addressed the need to heal the rifts which exist. Of course, there has to be a willingness on both/all sides to engage in such an endeavour.[/quote]

I agree with you Andy, in your response, but I have seen precious little of it in recent years