Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM - Matthew Turner
why can't it be decided at AGM not EGM ? An AGM is more accountable

I don't like the Scottish championship rule - Andrew Greet - suggest winner must be eligible and willing to play for Scotland
amuir Wrote:why can't it be decided at AGM not EGM ? An AGM is more accountable

I don't like the Scottish championship rule - Andrew Greet - suggest winner must be eligible and willing to play for Scotland

How is an AGM more accountable? The same process is involved for both. Indeed some organisations only allow their constitutions to be changed at an EGM.

Why pick out Andrew Greet. Keti could not play for Scotland when she first won neither could Danny Kopek or going even further back Max Pavey. There were probably others.

Are you really suggesting that someone who could live in Scotland for 20 years having come from abroad should be able to win the British Championship but not the Scottish? Again I could accuse you of a nimby attitude and not looking at the wider picture.
Am I the only one who doesn't get this issue?

If it has been decided to give the SCO flag to Mr Turner then he should be eligible to represent Scotland at Olympiad and to become Scottish Champion, otherwise it should not have been given!

Having a player with the SCO federation, but not eligible to to represent the country seems totally stupid. If he chooses not to represent then that is another matter.
neither Danny Kopec, Keti (1st time) , or Andrew Greet should have been eligible to win Scot champs
this needs a fresh vote at EGM too - dedicated Scots only - Danny never got near the Olympiad team - went back to USA

EGM/AGM - so long as the 2300 brigade are consulted - they ARE the olympiad team and will be affected by new rules

The SCO flag is interim
Now I understand. Can we pass the motion retrospectively and get some new Champions?

I propose for the EGM that eligibility for the Scottish Championship should be:

You must be born in Scotland
Your parents must be born in Scotland
All grandparents must be born in Scotland
You must live in a place with a castle
You must live in a place with a rock
You must live in a place beginning with D
Ideally your surname should start Mc or Mac but just M is acceptable.

Big Grin
I must confess that I am not Scottish all along - both my parents were born in England (Norwich & London)- and 2 grandparents - I also work in England (Birmingham)- does that change anything ?
Just to clarify a couple of points

1. Why would I have to wait 2 years to play for Scotland?
Well, if I played before two years I would have to pay 5000Euro to FIDE. I cannot afford that and I wouldn't allow somebody else to pay it for me because there are better uses for the money
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/news/?p=262">http://www.chessscotland.com/news/?p=262</a><!-- m -->

2. Why consult with the 2300+ players to decide whether I should be selected for the Olympiad.
I am not sure why you would pick 2300+, but in principle I would want the other members of the team to be happy with my selection. A harmonious team will always do better than a disunited one.
Matthew is right. Big Grin
Matthew Turner Wrote:Just to clarify a couple of points

1. Why would I have to wait 2 years to play for Scotland?
Well, if I played before two years I would have to pay 5000Euro to FIDE.

Thanks for your response Matthew. This is the bit I don't understand - perhaps I am misinterpreting the regulations. I assume that this is the transfer fee that various people have referred to? I thought that this is only paid to accelerate the 2 year "residence requirement"?

My understanding was that you were not planning on being resident (hence all the hoopla regarding changing eligibility conditions as otherwise you could presumably have gone down the same route as Keti and Jacob). If residency is not required, then there is no requirement to accelerate this and hence no transfer fee. Am I missing something, or does FIDE have a different interpretation?
If I look at the FIDE website for Transfers
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ratings.fide.com/fedchange.phtml?year=2011">http://ratings.fide.com/fedchange.phtml?year=2011</a><!-- m -->

It would appear that players have to wait either one or two years from the 'transfer date' to play for their new country (fee free). That means that either everybody has had the organisation to transfer immediately on moving to a new country or the two year period is about something more than residency. I assume the latter.