Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FM Andrew Burnett
We have a second FM title. Andrew Burnett drew yesterday to take his grade to 2303 and gain the FM title. Congrats to both Andrew and Clement. I wonder who will win the race to IM!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
That is Champagne drinking news. Congrats to Andy!

Don't know what age he is, but for a player that has been around for a while and has had the drive to obtain this title after all these years, hats off! If Clement's title can inspire the youngsters, this can inspire the 40s + players.
Brilliant, well done Andy!!
Congratulations also from all at Dundee & Angus.
Jonathan Livingstone wrote
"That is Champagne drinking news. Congrats to Andy!"

Another dry January bites the dust. Well done Andy
Thanks guys! Hopefully you can read a little more about both FM titles in the February issue of Scottish Chess.

I'm 46 Jonathan, and possibly could have done this many years ago. Anyway, I made a lot of changes in the summer and decided to give it a go and try to reach IM by the end of 2015 (my main goal is actually an Olympiad spot!)

Many thanks to everyone who has (and continues to) support me: Wandering Dragons CC, Friends of Chess, Quality Chess and all my friends, students and the organisers/players I've met along the way.

I start the Prague Open in 2 days and then straight on to the Marianske Lazne closed IM event the day after Prague ends Smile Then...a little break for writing/editing, coaching and reflection!
Nice work Andy. I am wondering has this been made easier now hat you're based in an Eastern European country or is timing just a coincidence?

Congrats to Clement too.
Well done Andy & Clement!
"about time too" Andy Big Grin
George Neave Wrote:Nice work Andy. I am wondering has this been made easier now hat you're based in an Eastern European country or is timing just a coincidence?

Congrats to Clement too.

Hi George, thanks!

It has only really been possible since moving here and focussing on chess - I have played 66 FIDE-rated games since moving here in August, more than 20 of them against titled players, and I don't really see how I could have done that in the UK (certainly not in Scotland alone!)?

P.S. Don't let any Czechs or Slovaks hear you calling them Eastern European!
Andy , congratulations (to Clement too), why is it that you went to the Czech Republic, and why is chess bigger over there than here ? On the jan fide list I do not see FM title awarded for you or Clement. Are there formalities to be carried out ?