Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIDE anti cheating rules
These seem to have been approved last month, another impediment to FIDE rating tournaments?

Found here, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/8429-anti-cheating-guidelines.html">http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... lines.html</a><!-- m -->
YOGURT for anyone. Seriously this document is primarily for using computerised equipment but I cant help but feel that no matter how hard you try there will always be ways of trying to beat the system. As we all know there are always be people trying to force one advantage over their opponent but i'm sure in top level chess these measures need to be implemented. The worry now for arbiters as I see it if one player accuses their opponent of cheating then that game in its entirety has to be processed through an online cheating tool. That's a hassle in itself (at least) and potentially dangerous and potentially libellous (at most) I'm reminded of anti-spam engines in emails which determine which is spam and which is not.

It's like a sliding rule and may let some spam through but block legitimate email. This anti cheating tool may be fallible and thus make or break reputations erroneously.

Finally I'm sure we've seen issues where cheating can be stopped. I've seen draw claims over the years which are taken over by other people cos its their teammate and they know the claimant doesn't really know the subtleties of claiming a draw. Isnt that cheating. I myself witnessed this recently and it wasn't the only form of cheating. I've also heard of interested fans discussing games in play (which isn't cheating) in such a way it makes the player aware there's something going on(which is cheating) I've also seen strong chess players standing over a table to either indicate who is winning or that a subtle move is available. We all heard how teams can use complicated scams or practices so although these initiatives are intended to prevent cheating , there will always be ways. I don't want these new rules to be used as a form of imtimidation ;Wink

As a footnote I've seen arbiters having their decisions questioned during play. This is an absolute no-no and shouldn't be allowed. If the arbiter makes a mistake then so bi it. To try and get an arbiter to change his mind is a form of cheating in itself.

Does Peach melba mean I accept a draw or is it strawberry
Or you could have a situation like our favorite Bulgarian player...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Ah yes, the yoghurt...

it is clear that a cunningly arranged distribution of edible items to one player during the game, emanating from one delegation or the other, could convey a kind of code message. Thus a yoghurt after move 20 could mean "we instruct you to offer a draw" or a sliced mango could mean "we order you to decline a draw". A dish of marinated quails' eggs could mean "play N-N5 at once" — and so on. The possibilities are limitless.'

Karpov-Korchnoi 1978.
Andy Howie Wrote:Or you could have a situation like our favorite Bulgarian player...

it's in his shoes Dougie
robin moore Wrote:Ah yes, the yoghurt...

A dish of marinated quails' eggs could mean "play N-N5 at once" —
Karpov-Korchnoi 1978.

or it could mean we want to give you salmonella cos we really like your opponent after all so eat the goddam eggs and be done with it - Edwina Currie would be proud of me
The yoghourt episode in 1978 was created from almost nowhere by Ray Keene in the middle of a bad tempered world championship match. Keene was well known on the English circuit at that time for his sense of humour. Sadly, Karpov's helpers didn't seem to get the joke.

I think the 2 delegations finally compromised by having the Russians delegation offer to Karpov a predefined selection of 3 types of yoghourt at a predefined time in each match.

Hmm maybe they did get the joke. :-o
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12677/763">http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12677/763</a><!-- m -->

Ken Regan is one of the leading lights in this field using algoritms etc to determine the presence of cheating. It would be no surprise to me if in fact his anti cheating software is what FIDE intend to use. I wonder if Chess Scotland's standards committee covers alleged cheating in Scotland or is that beyond its remit. With more games being FIDE rated in Scotland we may come across examples of cheating within Scotland in the near future
If software its that good they could have a look at some retrospective games. That would be interesting- bound to be some dodgy games in cyberspace.
Alex Gillies Wrote:If software its that good they could have a look at some retrospective games. That would be interesting- bound to be some dodgy games in cyberspace.

definitely especially for the Bulgarian shoeman - It's in his shoes!