Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Training resources for Juniors
Wondering if someone might be able to recommend some links to online sites that provide good materials that are easily printed out for working through with juniors. In particular mid-late primary age juniors that can play but are not experienced.

Also if anyone happens to have any good puzzle material or anything else and is happy to share, please do so! I can be emailed at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:dunbarchessclub@gmail.com">dunbarchessclub@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->

Thanks
Not sure about online material although chesskids.com is worth a shout I suspect.
How to beat your dad at chess is a phenomenal book for players who know the absolute fundamentals (i.e. Control the centre, develop quickly and get castled, can checkmate with king and rook vs king, know the winning king and pawn vs kings positions). The opera game (morphy vs count Brunswick and count isouard ) is also a good first chess game to go through I think - really strikes home the point about chess being a team game - morphy has less pieces but they are all developed and working as a team, the two consultation partners' rooks etc are still sleeping.
Kids are more teckie than us

Free apps are chess viewer and Shreader lite (first fames by email in the other email out)- loads of others. Dinosaur chess will teach 4 to 12 year olds from scratch and in a fun way - worth the £5 or so as it covers all the family using the app normally. When they advance playchess or chess.com or chessforkids etc or chessity. Most offer free trials.

In terms of paper research - I got stuck last month helping with boys with algebra homework. Didn't understand why 2 to power zero was 1. Anyway, I googled it and got some mixed helpful worksheets. I suspect Googling chess worksheets will help.

However the real find was when I youtubed power zero - several clips around 1 minute or less clearly explained it far better than the worksheets.

google youtube chess for kids and you have the likes of Andrew Martin and some very professional clips. Some of it may be too advanced though. Perhaps you could review appropriate short videos and direct them to that or save a list them for a presentation. The real key is being specific in your search eg kids chess youtube king v rook or how to castle etc

Hope this is of use.