Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dundee & Angus Congress
If anyone is interested the state of play at Dundee & Angus Congress after round three is:

Open
1 - Andrew Greet - 3
2 = Adam Bremner, Murad Abdulla, Iain Swan, Elaine Bamber - 2½

Challengers
1 - Richard Carter - 3
2 = 8 others - 2

Major
1 - Ray Noble, David Potts - 3
3 - David Adams - 2½

Minor
1 = Andy McCulloch, Derek Coope, Dave Watson, Alastair Dallas, Geoff White, Malcolm MacMillan - 2½

WiFi at the venue is down again so information can't get out in a very timely fashion.
This was the most challenging we've held so far- an arbiter short, contentious decisions over the two minute rule/draw claims, late re-draws, delayed start times. But we got through and it seems most, but not all, went away happy. There are a couple of issues we will have to look at for next year.

Anyway, photos are up now at https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5k6hcQ.

Games will take a few weeks to process.
Keith Rose Wrote:This was the most challenging we've held so far- an arbiter short, contentious decisions over the two minute rule/draw claims, late re-draws, delayed start times. But we got through and it seems most, but not all, went away happy. There are a couple of issues we will have to look at for next year.

Anyway, photos are up now at https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5k6hcQ.

Games will take a few weeks to process.

I will have a report on the Congress in the October issue of Scottish Chess, Keith. If you'd like to add a little something from the organiser's perspective please e-mail me soon-ish!

What were the contentious 2-minute rulings concerning? There have been many, many over the years in Scottish congresses - the main problems i have seen are that a) many players don't understand the rule and b) many arbiters don't understand how to implement the rule!
There were exceptional difficulties that were (or appeared to be) readily overcome. I did not hear any negative comments re the delays, and having played at Dundee several times i concur that the delays are rare. With regard to contentious decisions re 2 minute rule; for every decision there will be at least one unhappy player.
The tournament was enjoyable and like many others I am looking forward to next years event. Many thanks to Keith and his merry men (and women). I was very impressed by Ray Noble who not only filled in as emergency controller but also managed to play and win his section. Well done Smile
Wowsers - just googled the 2 min rule and am thinking no wonder arbiters and players alike are confused. It covers a lot of circumstances. No wonder it is hardly used (relative to the number of games played).

http://westlondonchess.com/FIDE_10_2 This club have even produced a guidance document on it.

Do CS and Scottish Congresses have to use this rule? Is there any option and public mood for consideration of not using it?
Although I have benefited from said 2 minute rule, i feel that it is a very poor rule. Perhaps this could be debated on another thread as I'm sure many others will have opinions on this.
I thought the rules had changed to adding a 5 second increment if a draw claim was accepted. At marymass the arbiters appeared to be awarding this no matter what the position was. Was this used at Dundee?
I felt purty hard done by truth be told. I was a bishop up in a rook bishop vs rook. Opponent claimed a draw with less than 2 mins. Arbiter came over. I said I wanted to play on. Opponents king at this point was on the seventh. We played more moves and his flag fell. Arbiter said it was a draw on the grounds I hadn't made progress. I said his king was now on the back rank (which it was) and I felt a had winning chances. I wasn't sure if I could win the position but it certainly looked like it was possible. Some other stronger players made comment that they weren't sure if it was a drawn position or not. My opponent claimed it was a book draw and I was told to demonstrate why it wasn't. I still had a minute on my clock. I was made to feel like I was trying to win the game on time when I genuinely felt I had winning chances and felt it was a bit strange that I had to demonstrate a win when it was my opponent that was short of time and a piece. The reality was that the final position was a book draw, however no-one knew for a fact that it was and I had realistic mating chances. When the king is on the back rank there are many chances to mate. I thought it a bit weird that I was the one having to demonstrate a win. My opponent was never asked to demonstrate the drawing technique (knowledge of one is required to hold the position) and I had made clear progress since the arbiter had come over by putting him on the back rank. If the final position my opponents flag fell on was different even slightly, it's likely to be a forced win in 11 moves.
It's a tough call for the arbiter. I do sympathize. But i'm never setting foot in that tournament again......that's a joke. It was a great tournament and venue. Very enjoyable!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessarbitersassociation.co.uk/Applying_Rule_10.2__.pdf">http://www.chessarbitersassociation.co. ... 10.2__.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Another link to the two minute rule.
That article actually discusses R+B vs R. I agree with its conclusion that the arbiter should not award a draw. The onus here must be on the weaker side to show he knows how to draw, otherwise it is a position with lots of play left. I recently beat an IM in it despite him having knowledge of one of the drawing methods. Keith Arkell claims to have 19/19 on the stronger side!