Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECU agm
Pretty stormy meeting. Makes ours look tame in comparison.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Back in the hotel waiting for my bags to be delivered, got a message they were coming by 7pm tonight, they are now in Tromso Big Grin

I noted down some highlights from the meeting

- ECU are introducing ECU Kids to assist with training 6 - 12 year olds. A kid account has to be controlled by an adult / trainer and introduces the ideas Alex Gilles raised about social media. There will be social media within it as well as training and the ability to play games with other kids across the ECU area. Looks a fantastic initiative. I have requested further information on it so we can utilise it. Should be kicking off in the Autumn this year!

Chess in Schools, introduction of online training course and ECU training qualification - again give us a resource for training the teachers

24K Euros pa spent with a marketing company. First sponsor secured to the tune of 36K Euro Pa, more to come.

There was a major debate around the calls for the suspension of the Executive Director. ECU have not released the contract with Budva to the Montenegro Chess Federation on the advice of their lawyers although if a request comes from the lawyers connected with the investigation, then the contract will be sent on. There was a vote passed for an investigation into the ED along with any other board member who was involved. After discussion with the Lawyers, it was agreed to give the MCF a copy of the contract.

The treasurer confirmed that the ECU are the only continental board who does not finance from FIDE. Any claims for the president to travel to FIDE meetings is met by the ECU. No other continent has to do this.

Finally there was a motion from the Ukraine about Crimea asking that the ECU respects the position of the UN council over jurisdiction. Both Nigel Short and I spoke supporting this motion and it was passed in a modified form that means should something ever happen again, we don't need to discuss it. Needless to say the UCF are now Scotlands Friends Big Grin

I had a pleasant lunch with the Norwegien Chess President and the Zone 1.1 President where we discussed tomorrows elections.

Over all a very productive day today. Tomorrow is going to be very long and tiring. We have the GA until 5pm then the ECU elections. If I can get a signal, I'll let you know who won. For the record we are voting for Garry for FIDE and Silvio for ECU

Andy
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:Chess in Schools, introduction of online training course and ECU training qualification - again give us a resource for training the teachers

Great news Andy :-)
Danialov loses election 18-33.
12.5 hours later and I am still in meetings. This is survival of the fittest!
Just found this on the ECF

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessdom.com/bulgarian-chess-federation-in-deep-trouble-investigation-by-the-chief-prosecutor-announced-at-a-press-conference/">http://www.chessdom.com/bulgarian-chess ... onference/</a><!-- m -->
Just read through the report Andy M posts above and like the authors, I was taken aback when I read this...

"More shocking facts coming. For the European Youth Championship in Albena the rent for the playing hall is 125 000 eur. For those who have seen the balloon-type hall this is unbelievable, especially having in mind that the rent for the most modern hall in Sofia is 15 000 eur.

More numbers: the medical services at this championship are 40 000 eur, for security 45 000 eur."

I was the Scotland Head of Delegation at this event. The playing venue was shaped like an old aircraft hangar but was more like a big greenhouse. It had vents at each end but was still very hot. The toilets were outside in portakabins (one portakabin for all boys and one for all girls). Security at the playing venue consisted of one guy standing guard at the entrance to ensure no one without official accreditation was allowed access.

I can't be certain if the playing venue was a permanent structure. To charge 125,000 Euros rent is astonishing.

I have no idea how they arrived at the 45000 Euros security charge but I guess that just isn't the costs at the playing venue alone.
Curious choice for offshore bank account of dubious nature

USA !!
Considering the Americas actions in response to the alleged corruption within FIFA that could make things interesting.
The American interest in FIFA comes via Concacaf, and suspected bribes totalling over 100 million dollars for media rights. The bribery supposed to have taken place over 20 years or more.

The Concacaf officials, for instance Chuck Blazer, are/were FIFA officials.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.europechess.org/ecu-letter-to-bulgarian-chess-federation/">http://www.europechess.org/ecu-letter-t ... ederation/</a><!-- m -->

Details of a letter sent by the ECU to the Bulgarian Chess Federation.