Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Olympiad
I bet they finish above seeding
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:I bet they finish above seeding
lol

I am loving Mr Muir's men's team.
Go on, select them.

Applying the merest modicum of commonsense would make it apparent to anyone that you cannot apply the same criteria to the women's team. Hopefully I don't have to spell out precisely why.
Clement Sreeves Wrote:I think one of the biggest differences nowadays is that you play lots of players under 2100 in tournaments. Looking for example at the tournaments Colin McNab played 20 years ago, there were very few players of that level.

My most recent 9 round events:

Commonwealth: 6/9 were under 2100
London Classic: 5/9 were under 2100

Scottish congresses if I'm lucky I'll get one game against Steve Mannion, 95% of players are under 2100.

This is clearly not the only factor, hard work is more important, for most people it's hard to find the time though.

This sounds like perfect training for playing on a low board in the Olympiad :/
Just to provide some numbers for people who don't know what the expense people are talking about is:

To play Euro Club Cup, it is 7 games, and is costing around £750 all told, so that's over £100 a game. I have been fortunate to get support from my club and university for playing this. Clement and myself are the respective board 1's at this for Edinburgh and Bon Accord, so it is a rare chance to get guaranteed monster opponents.

To play 4ncl, it is 2 games a weekend, and costs around £200 a shot assuming we can split a car, so again £100 a game. However, the great thing about this event is you can play some really good players. The last 4 rounds I played I got GM Bojkov, GM Gordon, GM Pert, IM Greet. These guys really make you raise your level.

An average 9 rounder is around £600 all told, so lets say £67 a game, and as Clement showed, in these types of events you are going to play a big number of sub 2100s. Although Andorra was a wonderful event last year for us, you have to expect to meet a lot of lower rated players in big opens.
"My most recent 9 round events:
Scottish congresses if I'm lucky I'll get one game against Steve Mannion, 95% of players are under 2100."

Let's introduce accelerated pairings as the norm in Scottish open events.
Andy Howie Wrote:I bet they finish above seeding

+1 My thoughts exactly. Big Grin
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
amuir Wrote:"My most recent 9 round events:
Scottish congresses if I'm lucky I'll get one game against Steve Mannion, 95% of players are under 2100."

Let's introduce accelerated pairings as the norm in Scottish open events.

I would also like that.
Perhaps one of our arbiters will explain if this is possible/necessary/useful from an overall event viewpoint?
Adam Bremner Wrote:Just to provide some numbers for people who don't know what the expense people are talking about is:

To play Euro Club Cup, it is 7 games, and is costing around £750 all told, so that's over £100 a game. I have been fortunate to get support from my club and university for playing this. Clement and myself are the respective board 1's at this for Edinburgh and Bon Accord, so it is a rare chance to get guaranteed monster opponents.

To play 4ncl, it is 2 games a weekend, and costs around £200 a shot assuming we can split a car, so again £100 a game. However, the great thing about this event is you can play some really good players. The last 4 rounds I played I got GM Bojkov, GM Gordon, GM Pert, IM Greet. These guys really make you raise your level.

An average 9 rounder is around £600 all told, so lets say £67 a game, and as Clement showed, in these types of events you are going to play a big number of sub 2100s. Although Andorra was a wonderful event last year for us, you have to expect to meet a lot of lower rated players in big opens.

So it really comes down to choice. Do you play the big open or the strong open? One might be more fun, the other better for your chess. Board 1 in the Euro Club Cup looks like both, but it's an exception, being a strong club event.
Delighted to see a discussion developing on this topic. It is important. For a long time I have felt CS should give the matter more attention. For example we could have an organisational stated goal to create 3 new IMs in next 3 years. Appoint someone on committee to formulate the action plan to achieve this. This may include more events offering norm opportunities in Scotland. Training weekends along lines of those Jacob Aagaard used to run. Identify leading candidates and offer these individuals specific support with to fund personal coaching and support attendance at oversees events. Personally I think funding for this should be an the agenda with equal status to that of junior funding, the Olympiad and Scottish Championship. It is just as important.
George Neave Wrote:Delighted to see a discussion developing on this topic. It is important. For a long time I have felt CS should give the matter more attention. For example we could have an organisational stated goal to create 3 new IMs in next 3 years. Appoint someone on committee to formulate the action plan to achieve this. This may include more events offering norm opportunities in Scotland. Training weekends along lines of those Jacob Aagaard used to run. Identify leading candidates and offer these individuals specific support with to fund personal coaching and support attendance at oversees events. Personally I think funding for this should be an the agenda with equal status to that of junior funding, the Olympiad and Scottish Championship. It is just as important.

+1