Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chessbase problem
Hi everyone

Little bit of technical expertise required again I'm afraid Smile

My Chessbase figurine fonts have gone a bit wonky after installing CB on a new laptop (a Slovakian laptop if that might make a difference to what follows).

It seems to read some of the pieces correctly (knight, rook and pawn) but the others have been replaced with silly little symbols.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I can't output the games as they are which is a serious problem.

I have take a screenshot, but not sure how to upload it here so you can actually see what I'm talking about.

Cheers,
Andy Burnett

Andy

At the risk of asking stupid questions.

Have you checked that all of the required fonts are actually installed?

Bob.
And while I'm in 'try turning it off and back on again' mode:

Have you checked that the language is set to English?
Did you install from an account with Admin privilege?

Bob.
andyburnett Wrote:Hi everyone

Little bit of technical expertise required again I'm afraid Smile

My Chessbase figurine fonts have gone a bit wonky after installing CB on a new laptop (a Slovakian laptop if that might make a difference to what follows).

It seems to read some of the pieces correctly (knight, rook and pawn) but the others have been replaced with silly little symbols.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I can't output the games as they are which is a serious problem.

I have take a screenshot, but not sure how to upload it here so you can actually see what I'm talking about.

Cheers,
Andy Burnett
I've had similar problems in the past Andy, but it's usually something quite simple...
Digging into memory banks, are you getting things like a Japanese Yen sign (¥)?
If so, go into File/options (or click on the red spanner at the top), check in the language tab that it is set to English, also check in the Notation tab that the font is set as required. From memory, sometimes just changing the font then changing it back again can right the mishap...

Have you installed any other programs that come with Font packs?
Quote:Have you checked that all of the required fonts are actually installed?
They certainly seem to be and I can access the character maps for them

Quote:Have you checked that the language is set to English?
Did you install from an account with Admin privilege?
Yes and yes (as far as I am aware!)

Quote:Digging into memory banks, are you getting things like a Japanese Yen sign (¥)?
If so, go into File/options (or click on the red spanner at the top), check in the language tab that it is set to English, also check in the Notation tab that the font is set as required. From memory, sometimes just changing the font then changing it back again can right the mishap...
I'm getting a few strange symbols showing in the CB 'Options-Notation-Figurine' window. Half of the pieces (R, N and p) show correctly as chess characters, the others (K, Q and B) as ˘ Ł Ą respectively
Tried as you suggested Graham but it made no difference

Quote:Have you installed any other programs that come with Font packs?
I installed MS Office 365 an hour or 2 before I installed ChessBase (actually, it could have been an hour or 2 AFTER if this might be critical?)
If the install was made after chessbase it could have corrupted your chessbase fonts.
Do you also have Fritz installed? How do the characters look on there if you do?

What happens if you try printing a game? You can view a print preview without actually wasting a sheet of paper...
Andy

I think I've located the problem but I don't know how to fix it, I'm afraid.

Your laptop is applying the central European Windows 1250 encoding, when it should be applying Windows 1252. This really shouldn't cause problems in the 21st century, but it seems it does.

Bob.
Actually, I think these instructions may be helpful.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-system-locale#1TC=windows-7">http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7</a><!-- m -->

If system locale isn't 'English (United Kingdom)', you should follow these instructions to change it to that.
Quote:...and the winner of 'Genius of the Year' goes to........Doctor Bob!!
:-bd

Thank you Bob (and Graham and JIm) for your help Smile Much appreciated

Andy B
Result Wink