Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yNotate an app for recording notation
Would it be allowed to use the yNotate app on an android device during a week-end Scottish tournament?
The Google Play link is here..... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chess.yNotate2.ui.android&hl=en_GB">https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_GB</a><!-- m -->

It apparently locks out all other applications on the device when activated and only works in Airplane Mode.
It also appears to be sanctioned by the USCF.
With the new rules now in. Having a phone on in any mode is punishable by death. I would advise against it
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:With the new rules now in. Having a phone on in any mode is punishable by death. I would advise against it

I was thinking more along the lines of a tablet (Galaxy Nexus) Andy
I may be wrong, but is it not that all electronic devices capable of running chess software are now banned, and not just phones? I am actually all for getting rid of them from the playing hall, just because there can be no suspicion, whether it is from people being paranoid, or with a genuine case.

I remember a couple of years ago playing in a very close team match which had one board left, and our opponent's captain was sitting playing through the game live on a chess app next to them. Now when a draw offer occurs, and the player rightly consults the captain, I was very concerned that an engine evaluation would affect what was said.

Apps like this probably only really have a place in junior chess, right at the start where they are just learning.
The relevant law is 11.3.b "During play, a player is forbidden to have a mobile phone and/or other electronic means of communication in the playing venue. If it is evident that a player brought such a device into the playing venue, he shall lose the game. The opponent shall win. The rules of a competition may specify a different, less severe, penalty. "

As this is an App, by definition, anything it runs on is capable of communication.
when did these rules come into play?
But such electronic devices are permissible for use by blind players. Recorders nowadays, tend to be of the digital variety. Therefore they are electrical devices.
The rules are clear, that the blind player may record moves in braille or by recorder.

I share Adam Bremner's concern because of the availability of apps such as Shredder and Chessbase for android
Pat, the new laws came into force on the 1st of July.

Steve, it's not the fact of electronic devices, as such, but those capable of communication that are banned.
So a voice recorder that cannot communicate with any external device by way of WiFi or SIM card are permissible, as far as I can see. #:-s

Of course, it depends on what each tournament organiser wishes to do with this law, and we know what some of them are like. :ymdevil:
Thanks John
John,
The wording is electronic devices and that is an ambiguous term to use here.
I am looking at this from the disabled players viewpoint as I'm sure you appreciate.
If a disabled player's only way is recording through his tablet, then it could be allowed but reluctantly effectively it would be better not to use such a device, but if there are no other options