Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney
Rainbow 
<Thought I posted this already, but will try again>

Summer...is, as ever, really (really...) busy.

Would it be possible to highlight the plan/schedule re Glorney (and for that matter any other potential junior selection events we're considering) ?
(13-04-2017, 07:59 PM)PeterReidSmith Wrote: Would it be possible to highlight the plan/schedule re Glorney (and for that matter any other potential junior selection events we're considering) ?

Yes.

However, it will be done in an orderly, timely and structured manner, not on demand by individuals, but when Chess Scotland have the selections decided, invitations sent out and accepted.
(13-04-2017, 09:14 PM)Jim Webster Wrote:
(13-04-2017, 07:59 PM)PeterReidSmith Wrote: Would it be possible to highlight the plan/schedule re Glorney (and for that matter any other potential junior selection events we're considering) ?

Yes.

However, it will be done in an orderly, timely and structured manner, not on demand by individuals, but when Chess Scotland have the selections decided, invitations sent out and accepted.
I think people are worried that we won't get a good squad out. Order and structure is fine but not if end result is a 2nd class team.
(13-04-2017, 07:59 PM)PeterReidSmith Wrote: <Thought I posted this already, but will try again>

Summer...is, as ever, really (really...) busy.

Would it be possible to highlight the plan/schedule re Glorney (and for that matter any other potential junior selection events we're considering) ?

Peter,

According to the Irish chess union site.

Wales are hosting
Venue cardiff
Provisional Dates 23 to 26 July
Participants include France this year

I really must stress provisional dates only but the host nation is highly unlikely to change at such short notice.
Formal dates.

Glorney Gilbert International Tournament.
This will be held in the Park Inn hotel, near Cardiff, from Monday, July 24th to Wednesday, July 26th.
Welsh Chess Union have registered the Glorney and Gilbert tournaments with F.I.D.E. for rating purposes.

The hotel address is: -
The Park Inn Hotel, Cardiff North,
Circle Way East, Llanedeyrn, Cardiff. CF23 9XF
(14-04-2017, 04:19 PM)Jim Webster Wrote: Formal dates.

Glorney Gilbert International Tournament.
This will be held in the Park Inn hotel, near Cardiff, from Monday, July 24th to Wednesday, July 26th.
Welsh Chess Union have registered the Glorney and Gilbert tournaments with F.I.D.E. for rating purposes.

The hotel address is: -
The Park Inn Hotel, Cardiff North,
Circle Way East, Llanedeyrn, Cardiff. CF23 9XF

Jim,

I presume that the dates you gave are the playing dates:- That is  2 rounds Monday 24th, 2 rounds Tuesday 25th and final round on the 26th. 

Following the pattern of last year when France also competed in a 5 round all play all event.

That being so travel, arrival, team managers meeting and first night of accommodation would be Sunday 23rd July.

Peter,

Taking your point about opposite end of Wales to the British. 

Simple summary of Welsh roads is that North to South routes are slow. East to West Routes are faster.

Route between the two venues should be based upon M4 M5 M6

Plus for the Severn Bridge the tolls are collected on the English side. Best not to mention that when West of the Bridge.

Phil
Hi, for the avoidance of doubt, can I stress that I was simply asking a question in what I felt was a perfectly reasonable tone. As a parent and coach I obviously have an interest, and the reality is simply that this is a very congested time (for everyone I'm sure, and seriously so for my family this year). There was no implied slight, nor any need to reply as such - I was simply wondering if we're able to share the "plan of the plan", e.g. is c. end April/early May achievable re details or are we more likely to looking at mid/late May. If the latter then I suspect that, for some at least, logistical realities might outweigh other factors.
Jim,

No need to start a separate thread for the Glorney.

This one already existed.

Jim,
On the subject of Chess Scotland's contribution to junior chess.

Is there any reason why the Glorney has not been listed on your junior calendar?

Play starts on Monday.  

The live boards are always entertaining and enlightening for aspiring junior internationalists 

Web site for live Glorney games is 

www.glorneycupchess.org

Competing nations are Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland, France.
Phil,

The CS Calendars (adult or junior) don’t feature any event which takes place outside Scotland.

I will look at the issue of publicising Glorney events and participation and will be trying to discuss this in Cardiff at the Glorney AGM on Monday.

I'll discuss this on the forum more fully on my return - how quickly will depend on priorities particularly with small matter of an AGM coming up.

Scotland are the hosts next year.
I've said this many times before on this noticeboard but I am underwhelmed by the strength of the Scottish Glorney Cup team.