Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunoon chess congress
My first experience of playing chess at a competitive level in a club and at a congress was at the inaugural Isle of Lewis congress back in ’95. Since then I have played for a few Scottish clubs and attended congresses in Scotland, England and in the Netherlands. No matter what the location people can make it happen to organise a major event and you really have no idea of how it will pan out for the people attending for the very first time.
I cannot remember the exact circumstances but that first event in Stornoway clashed with the Scottish at Hawick that year so I remember there being grumblings about ‘how dare they organise such an event’ that might be more popular than the Scottish in Hawick. In the end the event was very successful for the hundreds that turned up in Stornoway. With certain I did not feel I was out on a limb attending the Stornoway club in the few years it ran, chess is chess no matter where it is played.
If you want to organise an event… go ahead with or without the help people will be able to give. The enthusiasm you bring is much admired and should be encouraged to help bring more chess to more people and in areas that have not seen such an event.

Messages In This Thread