Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edinburgh resuts...
George Neave Wrote:I was thinking about the unfortunate situation in Edinburgh open which resulted in major part of prize fund finishing with someone benefiting from 2 full point default byes. Competition seriously distorted because we had a couple of titled players (well 1 at least) not really committed to participate in the event and as result completely screwing up the draw. Perhaps if organizers wish to offer free places for titled players they should still take the entry fee as deposit and then return it only on condition that the player actually turns up for all their games?

The defaults and non-appearances skewed quite a few things at the weekend unfortunately. Mark Orr, through no fault of his own, barely got any chess at all over the last 3 rounds. £400 for his efforts isn't bad compensation (!) but it's obviously far from ideal for Mark or the tournament.

IM Helgi Dam Ziska, who I imagine got a free entry, was apparently too tired to continue after round 2 and couldn't even inform the arbiter himself about this. He wasn't too tired to then go out for a night on the town (allegedly)...a night out which resulted in Mark's next opponent's non-appearance the following morning (he did turn up, but after the default time).

Not the first time this season that some Edinburgh University players have caused problems with their inability to appear on time/at all - a complete lack of respect for their opponents and the organisers/arbiters/tournament/etc..

One of the upshots of all this is that non-titled players simply weren't getting the opportunity to play the titled players - which is one of the arguments for giving them free entry.

Some version of George's/ Jonathan's 'entry fee bond' might be worth thinking about.

Aside from this problem, the weekend was excellent! The venue was fantastic, and the playing hall (for the Premier at least) was among the best I've encountered for a long, long time. Well done to the organisers Big Grin

Messages In This Thread