Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Senior Team Championship
Round 5

We had planned to rest Peter today, but with Phil feeling unwell we had to leave him out for the second day running. As it happens, the Welsh No.1 had also dropped out.

Peter and Gerald both took draws so the remaining two boards would decide. Finally getting a taste of the White pieces I threw caution to the wind and with my opponent doing likewise it was an entertaining old-fashioned gambit-style game with both sides having to find saving resources more than once. Eventually it came down to R+N+2 passed pawns vs R+B+2 passed pawns. While Black pushed his pawns I caught his King in the corner and that was that.

Alan also won so the final score was Scotland 3 Wales 1. Tomorrow we play 9th seeds Hessen, a strong German team (an IM+3FMs).

Scotland 2 also did well against yet another higher graded team, Stiftung BSW/DBAG. Douglas was never worse against Fritz Baumbach of and drew his game, as did Hugh Although their no.2 disposed of Steve, George pulled off a spectacular sacrificial attack to save the match (2-2). Tomorrow they play England 3.

Messages In This Thread