Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Senior Team Championship
Round 6

In our match against Hessen (Germany), Peter had his rest day; and Alan got a point by default with his opponent having retired sick. However after that things didn't go to plan. Despite his recent malaise, Phil was doing well against IM Donchenko until his opponent played a surprise Knight sacrifice; in a state of shock Phil resigned; unfortunately subsequent analysis shows that Phil was actually winning in the final position! Ouch!

Gerald's sacrificial attack only proved good enough for a draw by perpetual. I was doing well for most of my game; having spurned several chances to force at least a draw I played what I thought was a promising exchange sacrifice only to count the pieces and find I was actually a rook down! Final Score 1½-2½. Oh dear!

Second team: Although Douglas and Ian both drew with higher graded English opponents, things looked bad with Steve in difficulties and George a whole piece down. Don't ask me what happened (I didn't see it) but apparently he won! Final Score: 2-2 (against England 3).

Messages In This Thread