Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
From a junior selectors view point, I would like to clarify that all age groups are monitored and each player ranked by chess playing performance. The selection process is currently underway and so far we have two players U10 and two U8 that could be eligible for selection. The eligibility is based on comparison with past Scottish performances at major international events at each age group. The selection process is calibrated after each tournament to ensure only those likely to score are considered for selection for future events.
N.B The award of funded places are given for playing ability not by age of player.
Improving the infrastructure or implementing new initiatives may benefit the U10 players and anything of merit is worth pursuing. However I believe the difference between Scotland and larger chess playing nations is more intrinsic than that. e.g. in Russia there is a greater chance that an infant will be introduced to the game at home. Parents, grandparents, uncles etc will most likely be of a high chess playing calibre and will coach the infant in the fundamentals of chess at an early age. In Scotland players will probably start playing chess at a later age and learn the game from their peers.
For me the answer is simple. Introduce chess into the school curriculum. The educational benefits are well documented. Unfortunately the apathetic engagement from those in power to make this happen is equally well known.

Messages In This Thread