Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blind kids and other disabilities
Ianbrownlee Wrote:note to Stevie Hilton

Hi Stevie
You are obviously passionate about this topic and in your FIDE position do you have numbers about how many blind kids play chess in Scotland how many other kids have other disabilities.
Similarly how many adults are blind and how many have other disabilities.
What types of disabilities should Chess Scotland take into consideration and what suggestions do you have in providing solutions to these challenges

Hi Ian,
Sadly, there are no specific numbers in regards to the numbers of blind kids that play chess in Scotland. In regards to other disabilities, the best source of information would likely be the Scottish Chess and draughts Association for the deaf. Cs should consult with disability organisations on these matters

There are 3 disability groups at the moment. They are Blind, Deaf and Physical. The problem here is where would you classify someone who has hemophilia for example. This is a disabling condition but what category does it come under?

FIDE has issued guidelines for play with the disabled, which I have sent to the technical director.
These cover all aspects of the game in regards to the disabled. They apply to FIDE rated events only, but I would expect them to be applied to all events.
My point is that we have a wonderful opportunity to show the inclusiveness of chess to the non chess world in a way that other sports cannot.

CS has a disability officer in Chris Hampton. I would say that his position must be strengthened but that is a matter for the council to decide

Messages In This Thread