Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council meeting
Quoting from Jim Webster

but then in the very next paragraph you then start putting restrictions in
Quote:The association could help by providing appropriate equipment for braille players to use

Surely the visually impaired are only a section of the disabled and in many cases braille sets would be of no benefit whatsoever.

There may well be an argument for the association to consider an appeal for disability assistance, but each case in it's own merits. I don't think I could personally support such a specialized provision as braille sets only.

All disabilities should be considered and treated equally.

Perhaps there is a case for Chess Scotland to hold, disability friendly, chess sets that could be used at congresses - on an "as required" basis. That would however have to go to council or AGM for discussion.[/quote]

Jim,
You must surely realize that blind players need specially adapted sets. They also need adapted chess clocks, in order to allow them to compete in tournaments especially those with incremental time controls. Of the 3 disability groups it is only the blind that need adapted equipment, though this equipment can be used by other disabled groups as well. How can you object to that?

I was not advocating the provision of braille sets only, that is your interpretation, it is not mine. There are many things that Chess Scotland can do to help all disabled players. There are guidelines from FIDE regarding play with the disabled which CS must adopt. These cover such things as access to tournament halls, provision of refreshments and assistance before and during games. These are important things. Tournaments have to be open to everyone.

Messages In This Thread