Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council meeting
Dear all,

First off, these figures are proposed fees and there will be a debate held on them at Council as is appropriate. I also think it’s a debate that needs to happen, a lot of the points made on here I actually share but I’ll go into that in more detail at the Council meeting on Sunday.

Having spoken to David Congalton, the Finance Director (and I would direct anyone else with queries regarding this proposal to do the same) I now understand the proposed fees. I know David has a match tonight so may not be able to post on here until later in the week but I am quite sure he will respond to anyone who emails their questions to him.

The eagle eyed amongst you who checked the proposed budgets will have no doubt noticed there is no big increase in income from junior grading. How can this be? For a while now there has been a discussion relating to what’s in it for junior organisations to affiliate to Chess Scotland. Well, for a long time junior games played by those aged 14 and under have not paid for grading, this is a service provided by Chess Scotland at no cost to the junior organisers.

The proposal as I now understand it, although admittedly it may not be very clear is that these proposed fees would be waived for junior organisations that affiliated to Chess Scotland at an annual cost of £40. I believe Lothian Junior Chess are already affiliated to Chess Scotland and thus these proposed fees would not impact them.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion on this thread, I am happy to answer any queries and ready to be corrected by one of the other Directors/Council Members if I have misunderstood the proposal.

Looking ahead, the Home Junior Board is to hold its first meeting following the Chess Scotland Council meeting and I believe this is an appropriate subject to discuss with those representatives from the junior organisations on the board. For any organisations who are not currently represented but would like to be involved in the board please feel free to contact me by email, my details can be found on the CS Contacts list on the Chess Scotland website.

Best regards,

David Deary
Home Junior Director
Chess Scotland
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread