Poll: How should the Sensory Boards be funded
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
By Donation (individuals and congresses)
44.12%
15 44.12%
Increasing congress entry fees by £1 (going towards the costs)
23.53%
8 23.53%
Congresses using the boards paying a hire charge of £50
8.82%
3 8.82%
Congresses using the boards paying a hire charge of £75
2.94%
1 2.94%
Congresses using the boards paying an extra 5p per graded result
8.82%
3 8.82%
I do not think Chess Scotland should use such boards
11.76%
4 11.76%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensory Boards
Mike Scott Wrote:Your frequent reference to the stronger chess players as the elite as if it is some form of class warfare is amusing at time but is getting a tad tiresome. My experience is that chess is a wonderful example of community, where those that have benefited in the past from the dedication of others repay that debt in turn by helping the next generation of players, run events or making anonymous donations.

I think this bit was added after I replied to the prior part.

I agree that chess is a community and in fact I believe I suggested that JR offer his experience in helping me improve. It may have seemed facetious but I was being serious any advice is appreciated. You may not like me to draw the distinction between views but I believe there is an existing issue of oversubsidy of the best players at present by the lower graded players.

I also stated that I hated using elite and lowly but it was useful for making the point. I also said in future posts I would try to avoid it unless there was something I felt was ridiculous which I will do.

Anyways, all this chess debate has distracted my attention from the first round of the Irvine Open tomorrow which I better go and do some practice for. =)

Before I go: JR apologies if my prior post is somewhat heated and it was not intended to be personal. I look forward to your reply.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread