Poll: How should the Sensory Boards be funded
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
By Donation (individuals and congresses)
44.12%
15 44.12%
Increasing congress entry fees by £1 (going towards the costs)
23.53%
8 23.53%
Congresses using the boards paying a hire charge of £50
8.82%
3 8.82%
Congresses using the boards paying a hire charge of £75
2.94%
1 2.94%
Congresses using the boards paying an extra 5p per graded result
8.82%
3 8.82%
I do not think Chess Scotland should use such boards
11.76%
4 11.76%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensory Boards
Hugh Brechin Wrote:That's a cup final. Hamilton v Kilmarnock is usually not. You are comparing things that are not the same. I'd wager Linlithgow Rose's average weekly gate doesn't compare so favourably with SPL crowds.

Its good to see that instead of debating points we still resort to this not comparing like for like. On numerous occasions I have pointed out that attending a football match is not the same as playing chess and yet its a comparison that is always drawn.

Also, it may be a cup final but are you saying a last round duel in the Minor between two players on 4/4 wouldn’t generate any interest? Thats similar to a cup final to me and I’m sure it would be for the players involved.

Mike Scott Wrote:What a bizarre comment. Quite clearly those in the open are better chess players on average than those in the lower (on grading) sections and those at the top end of the open at the end of the event are undoubtedly amongst the best chess players at the event.

On reference to the so-called best players – they are the so called best players because that's what they are and what everyone refers to them as. I was simply highlighting that not disputing their obvious playing strength.

What I find bizarre is the choice not to debate points but seek clarification on wording rather than debate substance. That’s interesting...
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread