Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Olympiad 2014
David Deary Wrote:My guess would be that invites have been sent to those selected and the International Director is waiting to see if the invites are accepted.

Obviously, Andrew Greet has accepted and decided to publise it but surely we can all agree it makes more sense to publish the finalised team once all the members have been confirmed.

Agreed David, but a week is a long time when it comes to booking 'cheap flights' Smile Hopefully David C. is right and there will be some savings for CS.

For those who might think I have a chip on my shoulder throughout this thread, let me explain - there were discussions at the winter chess festival over New Year about the behaviour of some members of the Scottish team at last year's Europeans in Poland. A player refusing to play and another refusing to 'sit out' apparently. I am keen to see if those same players have been selected for this Olympiad, given that I gave our International Director Andy Muir the opportunity to respond to '...any negatives' he may have encountered at the Polish event. He didn't mention this 'alleged' disgraceful behaviour at all.

The eligibility issue is a different bugbear. We do have criteria for this and we are sticking to them - so I have no complaint about Andrew Greet (or anyone else who may be chosen) who meets these criteria, but I think we need to have a serious discussion about what is best for Scottish chess with regard to the international set-up.

These matters only affect me personally very slightly at the moment as I am not strong enough to merit a place in the team - but since I am using 'international selection' as a goal for improving my chess, it would be nice to know what to expect if/when I reach that level.

Messages In This Thread