Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Olympiad 2014
That's an interesting idea Matthew - the one obvious problem (though hardly insurmountable) being that the Europeans, as far as I am aware, have never received anything more than minimal funding - the younger age group mooted being the least likely to be able to afford such a venture I guess?
In general, though, I think such an idea is one of the ways to progress - even if it were to be half the team selected from u-25's. Try to mix experience with youth and see if it helps their progress.

With regard to the Olympiad specifically, I have always felt that the Scottish champion should receive an automatic invite to the team (although a minimum rating/performance level might be necessary?!).
This would, or should, encourage the participation of all the top Scottish players who have a desire to play for the national team - 2 or 3 of our best players would be shoo-ins for the team , the other 10 or so in the picture would have a definite goal to aim for.

I've still to hear a 'defence' to the point that certain players are using the system for purely personal reasons? You yourself, Matt, have argued that 'I would like to play in an Olympiad because I think it is a great experience for any chess player to do so.' (I do understand your other reasons for wishing to represent Scotland, and they are strongly in your favour.)

Agreed, I would love to play one myself, but I am not strong enough! I am about 100-150 elo short of being in the selection picture, as you probably are in England! Now, I am working hard on my chess to bridge that gap, but what happens if/when I reach it and places are taken by those with a 'lesser' claim to Scottish-ness! I have to change federation to Welsh Smile or Jersey Smile or Burkina Faso!? Is Scotland not becoming one of those "small countries who just want the strongest team they can get" you mention?

I've also mentioned to Andrew Greet that this discussion is taking place - hopefully he'll feel ok about joining in to explain his viewpoint.

Messages In This Thread